Author Topic: Micro ribbon cable (FFC) - DIY???  (Read 1206 times)

Offline skroundTopic starter

Micro ribbon cable (FFC) - DIY???
« on: July 26, 2021, 09:13:10 pm »
Hi! maybe not a 'repair' question (in case pls moderator move me to a more appropriate shore) but that's the kind of user case that might happen in repairs.

In shorts: I'd like to relocate the CMOS sensor of a camera to a stand-alone housing for cooling and interference reasons - to eventually do astronomy. I probably need 3" or 4"

Between me and this goal there are these tiny ribbon cables. Her shown the actual twos - where can I source a similar one? Is there a moderately painful way to DIY?

1239723-0

I've found these ones but their connection pads look like are 2 rows!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263942527915
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ffc-cables/4589147/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Cables_%26_Wires_Whoop-_-FFC+Cables_Whoop-_-4589147&matchtype=&pla-340957816246&gclid=CjwKCAjwuvmHBhAxEiwAWAYj-Fs6U0GjaHtKukLDdX2vpirc9ZsRtWn9LOJC20W9_TjCBqSzL9Y8OhoCWBoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Offline Koray

• Regular Contributor
Re: Micro ribbon cable (FFC) - DIY???
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 05:22:21 am »
I remember in some camera service manuals (it was Panasonic if I am not wrong) they show the use of longer versions of these flex cables for particular repair tasks, such as calibration. But I have no idea where they can be sourced from...

K.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 05:44:36 am »
Yep you can buy them easily. Example:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0150150229/3467251

The trick is that these dual row staggered connectors measure the pitch between the centers of adjacent pads, so you search for these by looking for 0.3mm or 0.25mm pitch. The pins on the same row are actually 0.6mm apart. To then connect to it on a PCB you just also order a 0.3mm pitch FPC connector.

You can also order a custom one that can bend or split whatever way you want. PCB manufacturers like pcbway.com make them. You order it the same way as you would order a PCB by giving them gerber files since this cable is essentially just a really really thin PCB. Tho for small batch of only 10 cables expect to pay something like 100 to 200 bucks total. They only get cheap once you start ordering them in the 100s quantities (At that point they will be significantly cheaper per piece than the standard ones you can buy on digikey)

The following users thanked this post: skround

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 12:05:41 am »
Yep you can buy them easily. Example:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0150150229/3467251

The trick is that these dual row staggered connectors measure the pitch between the centers of adjacent pads, so you search for these by looking for 0.3mm or 0.25mm pitch. The pins on the same row are actually 0.6mm apart. To then connect to it on a PCB you just also order a 0.3mm pitch FPC connector.

That absolutely made my day! Thanks.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's a0.25 or 0.30 pitch without disassembly the camera again!  |O

Also, need to figure out how to solder those tiny connectors pins to ..I suppose a kind of break-out pcb ??

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 05:25:24 am »
Anytime.

The 0.3mm ones tend to be more common, but yeah only way to be sure is to mesure it(probably by counting out 10 of them and measuring between those)

As for the connector that the other end plugs into you will most likely have to design your own breakout PCB. Most FPC connectors you can breakout with just a regular generic breakout adapter for SMD ICs since its still just a row of pins. But these dual row FPC connectors have two staggered rows of pins coming down to the PCB, so you can only fit one of the rows onto the pads of a generic SMD adapter.

If you are in a hurry to get something prototyped, have some patience and a microscope you could glue down the other end of the cable and solder tiny wires to each of the strips pads, these orange flex cables can handle soldering temperatures.(but don't solder the white ones, they just melt).

The following users thanked this post: skround

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 05:41:47 pm »
Anytime.

The 0.3mm ones tend to be more common, but yeah only way to be sure is to mesure it(probably by counting out 10 of them and measuring between those)

Ok, managed to disassemble the camera again - anyway I'm waiting for a new shutter- I can confirm it's 0.3mm

1240852-0
1240854-1

I'm just wondering if there's might be anything like this -that I've randomly found in a microscope- for a double-row. That'd be perfect linkage as I think I'm going full-blown on a separate housing for the sensor on a cold finger and Peltier.

1240856-2
1240858-3

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 10:45:32 am »
First time i see such a female to female FPC joiner adapter. Id assume these are not all that common.

But making your own is not all that hard, all you need is a simple PCB and two of the connectors you want.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 09:26:42 pm »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 12:50:14 am »
You should leave the connectors on and simply buy a longer ribbon cable with the appropriately silvered ends, with the right number of conductors. Those FPC connectors lock, they can be opened and closed a limited number of times, you just press on them and flip the cover piece up to open, flip it back down to apply pressure and close. I have one on my GPSDO. That one looks like it may be a 50 conductor but to avoid mistakes, I'd count them before ordering,
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf