Author Topic: Motherboard capacitors  (Read 19420 times)

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Motherboard capacitors
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »
How did this repair eventually work out ??
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline MyHeadHz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2016, 07:30:00 am »
Sadly, to be honest, for the price you spend on new caps, solder wik, solder, Wife yelling "You done yet?'....You could buy aworking one with same or better specs off ebay or craigslist.  Salvage what you can off it for later if you want, but buy a new one.

Soon, You'll have to transfer to windows 10. Microsoft is soon going to force everyone to do so, and that motherboard I doubt could run it.
[/quote

well, they want people to move to it.  After skylake, yes... it will be forced (save for *nix/hackintosh) for newer processors.  But for skylake and before, everything will work still.  There just won't be updates other than security fixes.  Personally, I can't stand Windows 10.  I'll just stick with skylake and 7 and hope they change their policy or improve windows 10 :o

Either way is fine, the only reason for me to have Win is games,, and the Linux gaming community is catching up with Windows fast.

That being said, Microsoft is famous for making ridiculous statements like that and then backtracking after the backlash.  Hopefully they will do the same with this.

Offline jimdeaneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2016, 04:35:22 am »
How did this repair eventually work out ??

Sorry, forgot to come back and update.

After acquiring the Weller WES-51 soldering station and some supplies, I went through and replaced all of the questionable KZG capacitors, including the three 820 uF ones that had visibly failed. I used 63/37 multicore solder, and a solder sucker to pull the excess solder from the through holes. I replaced the 820 uF caps with Nichicon UHM0J821MPD.

On a couple of the caps I had to work on them a while to get them to pull through the board, but not terribly bad. I added flux and fresh solder before pulling and that helped a lot.

Computer runs like a champ. Problem is my wife got used to my Core i5 laptop serving as her desktop computer, so we will probably end up upgrading in the next year anyway. Still, nice to have it functioning until we have a plan to replace it.

The following users thanked this post: wblock

Offline knks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2016, 12:35:42 am »
I usually clean the holes by drilling them. Solder is very soft. Never had any issues, however not sure if it can be used for multi layer boards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf