Author Topic: My brand new DS1054Z does not like me to change timebase  (Read 1017 times)

Offline juno2Topic starter

My brand new DS1054Z does not like me to change timebase
« on: September 23, 2019, 05:59:25 pm »
My brand new DS1054Z 00.04.04.SP4 bd. 0.1.4 looses triggering and input signal nearly every time I change the timebase. Default it almost never shows a signal. It shows a line but picks up nothing from the probe. The exception is when I toggle in another channel displaying two channels. The it is possible to trigger channel one. But if I change input resolution or the timebase it is gone and I have to toggle another channel in again. I hear the relays going and the signal comes back. Sometimes I can get achieve the same by toggling the BW limit. If I hear the relays it is often ok.

Anybody else have this problem. ?

I dont want to wait anther 2 months+ to send the device back to China and have it back.

It behaves similar for the other channels. Seems like an internal link/relay from the preamps does not work consistently. I like to repair this myself and have Dave's schematic hand drawing so far.

Martin

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: My brand new DS1054Z does not like me to change timebase
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:11:57 pm »
it sounds like you've set timebase too big and hence reduced sampling rate on higher frequency signal, so you got aliasing. try to reduce timebase several clicks until you get stable signal. remember Nyquist rate is half the signal frequency, lower sampling rate than that = aliasing. or else maybe you can give more details. what timebase? what signal frequency and magnitude? and some pictures may give clearer view.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: juno2

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 06:20:38 pm »
Run calibration on it again. I had some weird shit going on a couple of weeks back with the triggering until I did that again.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 06:52:04 pm »
Initially I just power up default an hook probe to the probe compensation signal. Ch1 selected, 1V trig lev 320mV DC. 500us.

Changing time base up or down does not matter no signal. Changing input level from mv to Volts same. In with CH2 /3 or 4 relay click and we have signal

After leaving it on for more than half an hour it sometimes work ok, but then just a yellow line above zero that does not react on my finger on the probe. In with channel4 and bang i triggers ok, out an its gone.

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 07:10:33 pm »
When I try calibration the blue progress bar comes up to 7mm and have stayed there for the last 10minutes. I will wait 30min if there is a timeout somewhere.

This is second self-cal attempt, same result.  :--

After 30min still hangs. :-- :--
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:32:27 pm by juno2 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 07:27:53 pm »
I would send it back. Include insults relating their mothers to eggs.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 07:40:27 pm »
Send it back ? It took 2 months to arrive, that means maybe 4 new months. can't do that.

Can't be firmware I guess, must be relays or bad soldering somewhere  :box: :box:

relate their mothers to eggs :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 07:55:12 pm »
Possibly hardware. Mine drifts terribly. I have to recalibrate it weekly. Im not that impressed and thinking about losing it getting Keysight.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 08:40:10 pm »
Leave the trigger on AUTO not NORMAL while you figure what it's doing, and are you moving the trigger level to about the half height level of the waveform.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf