Author Topic: My GPS mysteriously brick itself  (Read 693 times)

Offline phred01Topic starter

• Contributor
My GPS mysteriously brick itself
« on: September 24, 2023, 10:02:48 am »
G'day all
Please help
My Chinese made Win CE 6.0 GPS has stopped loading the OS. The unit is a Mediatek which has been work for 3 yrs The error message is PMP.exe is missing cannot cancel the Error message as the screen is not responding to cancell the window message. Tried to connect via the USB port but win 7 on my laptop reports the GPS is not recognized Another GPS unit has no problem connecting via the USB  |O
Need to restore Win CE 6.0 to unbrick the unit

Offline p.larner

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: My GPS mysteriously brick itself
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 03:22:04 pm »
dont know if it helps but i had a uhappy chinese phabblet phone,about every 6 months it would do tjhe same,had to reflash the rom every time,that was a mediatek chipset too,in the end i smashed it to bits after about the 5th time it did it,it was random,sometimes ok for 3 months other times 3 days!.hope there nuclear reactors are better!.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 02:28:20 am »
not being rude, i dont think youll ever get e unless you buy an identical one  and grab if possible  the files

maybe the memory is corrupt,  WinCe on many device self extract in the memory before running

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 01:39:08 pm »
Corrupted flash is common in cheaper devices that usually weren't built with good flash anyway.
Will need more info on the device and what's inside; you may be able to find compatible firmware online as many of these are based on the same reference design.

Offline phred01Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 05:35:36 am »
Yes have another similar unit and have image of the GPS software. The main issue is the winCE os thats corrupted Wonder if there is a method to reinstall the winCE With Android boxes an update is achieved by inserting a sd flash with a upgrade file. So it there file for winCE OS?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 02:14:59 pm »
i think you need to read about mce    you will learn how it work

normally wince 6   work  with a compressed file named nk.bin   or else 

on different companies they loved changing the bin extension file or simply renaming it  to confuse people

some companies had  flashing tool(s)

you need to find what works in your unit ...  and usb flash  can or could work,  BUT   it depends on how the companies implemented that

if you have corruption,  it get from somewhere in your unit ...

nowadays   working with WinCe is a pain in the .........  you need development tools, platform tools  etc ...

you need to find Mediatek tools / flash tools  etc ....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf