Author Topic: MiniPC startup issues. Power replaced.  (Read 852 times)

Offline VekettiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
MiniPC startup issues. Power replaced.
« on: January 20, 2023, 06:29:00 am »
Hi,

I’ve got fanless mini pc called Intense PC which is running 24/7 to collect weatherstation data. It has worked fine for years but some time ago it introduced startup problems. So if it was power down and repowered it ran for few minutes and shut down. I replaced the external power source, soldered power pins to overrule any cold solder etc. Still the same issue. Only thing how to get it reliably power up and stay up is unplug it and let it be unpowered for long time then plug it back in. This time that it needs to be unplugged has dramatically risen and now it needs several hours of unplugged until it reliably stays on after re-plugging.

Does this make any sense? I’m stumbled and can’t figure out what’s going on. Please help to diagnose what might be the issue?

Thank you in advance

Offline cantata.tech

• Regular Contributor
Re: MiniPC startup issues. Power replaced.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 11:50:47 am »
I worked in IT for years. Forgive my humour but I used this knowledge many times and it worked.

I'm trying to help you find the cheapest way to fix the broken part.

The broken part is called the entire PC. An entire PC can be obtained now for $50 or so second-hand.

Spending time and money on this part and that part, solder, cleaning spray, usb cards costs more than replacing just the broken part.

It could be the CR-2025 motherboard battery. That's usually matches the description of why your system might be failing but not always.

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 02:45:56 pm »
I never encountered a case where a failed or failing CMOS backup battery caused a PC to fail to start or to shut down by itself.

I have encountered several cases where visual inspection of the motherboard of a PC that failed to start or was running for a short time and then shut down itself revealed bulging tops of one or more electrolytic capacitors and replacing all the capacitors of that type (bulging or not) effected complete cures.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 04:48:41 pm »
Either CMOS battery or possibly you have capacitors on the motherboard that have failed.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 04:50:53 pm »
I worked in IT for years. Forgive my humour but I used this knowledge many times and it worked.

I'm trying to help you find the cheapest way to fix the broken part.

The broken part is called the entire PC. An entire PC can be obtained now for $50 or so second-hand.

I can tell you are in IT, they hate repairing anything IME  ;D.  Used desktop machines are ten a penny, but the low power mini PC that the OP is using tend to fetch more money.

Offline abdulbadii

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 06:16:00 pm »
just like to get solved without work & info giving ?J
How & what things different on before start issue and current ongoing issue & info of this, this & of this?

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 12:53:52 am »
Capacitors for sure are the number one source of issues, the lithium button cell battery (typically CR2032) is probably not going to cause this.

It is worth checking the heatsink paste.  In rare cases poor quality paste can dry out in a weird way causing very little contact between the heatsink and CPU.  Also, depending on the design of the fanless PC, there may be heatpipes involved which can sometimes fail.  In both of these cases you should be able to monitor the CPU's temperature and determine if it's overheating.

Offline cantata.tech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 01:49:46 am »
Also check the POST status.

POST = Power-on-self-Test.

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 02:10:10 am »
This sounds like something you might troubleshoot with a hair dryer and a can of freeze spray.

Offline VekettiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 03:59:44 pm »
Just an update to this if someone is having similar issue. It was the CMOS battery. Even though it is said to have almost indefinite life being rechargeable lithium ML1220 and it had over 3V when I soldered it off from the PCB, maybe it was weak already or something. Took a while to even find one which had horizontal legs, but found one seller from eBay who had these. They seem to be obsolete type, so that's why so hard to find.

Now I need to find some use for this pc as I have already received new one...  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf