Author Topic: My Sony Vaio Laptop Won't Power ON???  (Read 11688 times)

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: My Sony Vaio Laptop Won't Power ON???
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 01:11:11 pm »
Does pin 2 of the KB3910 start out at 3.3V and go near 0V when the power button is pressed?

ALW_ON should go high and turn on the MAX8734's 3VALW and 5VALW before any of the RUN_* can start, so check ALW_ON (pin 3/4 of MAX8734), 3VALW (across PC73/74/75), and 5VALW (across PC76/77/80) first.

ALW_ON is high only if GPIO23 (pin 108) of KB3910 and ALW_ON1 is high.

ALW_ON1 is generated via some logic at the bottom of page 56, check that ALW_ON1 is also high.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 01:24:51 pm »
If it has an Nvidia video chip the problem is almost certainly there. Those are known for thermally stressing the RoHS solder and cracking it.  You can many times bake the board to reflow the solder.
Nvidia problem is not directly RoHS related and not  soldering related at all. GPU fails by itself, heating revives it for some time until inevitable fail. And it definately is not the fault because laptop is completely dead, even no led lights. Considering that previously keyboard stopped working, most likely KB3910 is faulty. Personally wouldn't waste too much time on diagnostics because it cost only 4 dollars on ebay.

Offline viranjTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 02:09:00 pm »
Does pin 2 of the KB3910 start out at 3.3V and go near 0V when the power button is pressed?

ALW_ON should go high and turn on the MAX8734's 3VALW and 5VALW before any of the RUN_* can start, so check ALW_ON (pin 3/4 of MAX8734), 3VALW (across PC73/74/75), and 5VALW (across PC76/77/80) first.

ALW_ON is high only if GPIO23 (pin 108) of KB3910 and ALW_ON1 is high.

ALW_ON1 is generated via some logic at the bottom of page 56, check that ALW_ON1 is also high.

Yes KB3910 PIN NO.2....3.34V.

ALW_ON in MAX8734..  PIN NO.3...3.34V   same Voltage Running in Pin NO.4...3.34V.

but Ldo 3 ...3.3v and Ldo5...5.11v are Running Correct Voltages.

I measuring Max8734 These Pin No.3 And Pin no.4 voltages ten times above. but same voltage Running. 3.34v

and in KB3910 (GPIO23) Pin 108 also 3.3v

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 04:41:22 pm »
dude, how many times?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface
there are TWO (2) main states computer can be in:
  • S5/standby/soft off - this is just after you plug AC and/or battery into powered off motherboard, no buttons pressed
  • S0/poweron - everything is powered up, all voltages up, cpu starts running

Pressing power button makes EC go from S5 to S0, it does this going thru suspend modes (S3, S1). It starts by powering different voltage rails, ram, chipsets, and then cpu.

You need to measure everything twice (two times, 2x), first in S5, then after you press power button, monitoring certain signals while you press power button helps (bonus points for logic analyser).

At this point I still dont know if your first measurements

>It shows LDO3 2.22v and LDO5 3.20 volts.

were a mistake, or real voltages in S5.

btw: was this laptop water damaged (spill on keyobard)?
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2014, 03:57:49 pm »
dude, how many times?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface
there are TWO (2) main states computer can be in:
  • S5/standby/soft off - this is just after you plug AC and/or battery into powered off motherboard, no buttons pressed
  • S0/poweron - everything is powered up, all voltages up, cpu starts running

Pressing power button makes EC go from S5 to S0, it does this going thru suspend modes (S3, S1). It starts by powering different voltage rails, ram, chipsets, and then cpu.

You need to measure everything twice (two times, 2x), first in S5, then after you press power button, monitoring certain signals while you press power button helps (bonus points for logic analyser).

At this point I still dont know if your first measurements

>It shows LDO3 2.22v and LDO5 3.20 volts.

were a mistake, or real voltages in S5.

btw: was this laptop water damaged (spill on keyobard)?

ThankYou for Great Information Rasz.

I Try to measure S5 voltages. but can't configured that voltages. where it will be pass and how to analyse that.??? confused???

So You can drive me where to check S5 voltages. which IC ,MOSFETS, Pins etc.,

and trying to check S5 voltages. When power button pressed in power switch board 3 LED'S are lights on only 5 secs. after that Led Lights off. can't stay..

btw: was this laptop water damaged (spill on keyboard)? >>>>>> No Water Damaged or Liquid spill on Keyboard.

and i found nearby battery connector PD32 component missing???

If KB3910 Replace can Solve two problems (Power and Keyboard) or not???   

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 09:55:42 pm »
every time you post its something different :/ first it was whole thing dead, now you say leds work ?

>When power button pressed in power switch board 3 LED'S are lights on only 5 secs. after that Led Lights off. can't stay..

THIS is one of GPU failure modes, bios cant initialize gpu and turns computer off. GPU bad, need replacement, ~>$100 + labour, after that someone would probably need to replace keyboard or keyboard controller. all in all more than whole laptop is worth.

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 07:12:33 am »
every time you post its something different :/ first it was whole thing dead, now you say leds work ?

>When power button pressed in power switch board 3 LED'S are lights on only 5 secs. after that Led Lights off. can't stay..

THIS is one of GPU failure modes, bios cant initialize gpu and turns computer off. GPU bad, need replacement, ~>$100 + labour, after that someone would probably need to replace keyboard or keyboard controller. all in all more than whole laptop is worth.

Yes. This Problem is i Observed. when put load in to Mother board (CPU, RAM, HARD DISK, DVD WRITER, KEYBOARD..etc.,). Voltages Drop Down. Once Turn On with Load stuck at booting only 10 to 15 secs . after that automatically turned off. can't turn on again. I Remove all Components from Motherboard.  and check voltages in LdO3 ...2.22v and LDO5 3.20 Volts. so Voltage Drops in to MAX8734 With Load.

hmmm.......O.K . Rasz. I decided Replace my Board MBX 149. so i want to buy a new Board in Low Cost.

but I want to buy a board advanced configuration with Nvidia graphics chip. Replace like my Board just Insert in to CPU new board and use)

But My Main Board is MBX 149. MS 13 NVIDIA GO7600. I Want upgraded Version to Suitable My Board.

I don't know which is latestversion board. Mainly Nvidia Graphics Chip version. I search in Ebay/Amazon. Available MBX 149 Boards in Reasonable Range 30$ to 50$. But i can't decided why because There are all Boards MBX 149 in MS 12 or 11 With Nvidia GO7400. Some Boards With / Without  Graphics chip , Wireless Lan board, South bridge and North Bridge etc.,.

So You strongly recommend Which is latest and Best with all. I go to buy a Board Online first time.

So Please Give me a Suggested a Link.

OR

How can i Repair My Board.

Thank You.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 08:27:03 am »
Buy KB 3910 on ebay for a few bucks. Possibility that it will help is more than high enough to try. However it might be tricky if you don't have experience with soldering fine pitch parts. Buying used/"refubrished" motherboard with nvidia GPU might be a lemon. You may get MB with faulty GPU which was heated to give it some more life. 7000 series GPU's were not so bad as 8000 ones in that aspect (~90% possibility to get MB with crap GPU),  but probability is very high anyway. Moreover even if it is not faulty, you never now how much life is left in it. So it is better idea to repair this one of buy another MB with integrated GPU to be safe.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2014, 01:44:40 am »
Buy KB 3910 on ebay for a few bucks. Possibility that it will help is more than high enough to try. However it might be tricky if you don't have experience with soldering fine pitch parts. Buying used/"refubrished" motherboard with nvidia GPU might be a lemon. You may get MB with faulty GPU which was heated to give it some more life. 7000 series GPU's were not so bad as 8000 ones in that aspect (~90% possibility to get MB with crap GPU),  but probability is very high anyway. Moreover even if it is not faulty, you never now how much life is left in it. So it is better idea to repair this one of buy another MB with integrated GPU to be safe.

^pretty much this

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 06:26:03 am »

Thank You Wraper.

I Buy KB3910 on Ebay. I can try to change this.

but i found on my MB some Missing Components.

i don't know these are Really Missing or ????

if Really Missing ..which components i Replace...

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 08:41:24 am »

I see a chip on the pcb (first photo) but for me it looks like that there was not any part from the beginning. On the second photo looks like a dirt over non populated pads or burn with missing part. Hard to say, photos are not clear enough, if there is a free place it does not mean that there was something, need more magnification to be sure.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 09:06:51 am »

I see a chip on the pcb (first photo) but for me it looks like that there was not any part from the beginning. On the second photo looks like a dirt over non populated pads or burn with missing part. Hard to say, photos are not clear enough, if there is a free place it does not mean that there was something, need more magnification to be sure.

Is that corrosion from fluid ingress on the second picture?
If you look at other devices some of the pins are oxidised/corroded too (EG the solder pins on connector header).

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 10:17:32 am »
pd32 should be there, but its only used on battery power, wouldnt matter with charger plugged

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf