Author Topic: Mystery Connector Type Identification: Sony XAV-601BT  (Read 4713 times)

Offline ratdude747Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Mystery Connector Type Identification: Sony XAV-601BT
« on: July 30, 2015, 04:41:29 am »
Awhile back I bought a Sony XAV-601BT head unit for my truck on ebay for $50 as a for parts or repair special. I traced the problem (that was preventing power up) to a bad connector between the front panel and the main chassis; pin 1 on the chassis (female) side was bent. I was able to kinda fix it by bending the connector back into shape; however, it's gotten dicky again and I'd like to solder a new connector on.

The problem: I don't know what type of connector it is! Here's some pictures of both ends:

The female connector is SMD on a separate daughter board, which I was not able to find anywhere as a buyable part. It's 46 pins IIRC, non-staggered.

I've seen these type connectors used all the time on aftermarket head units... yet I can't find them on digikey or the like. Suggestions?

(and no, a new head unit isn't in budget, at least if I want something not "wun hung lo". Although given how useless mirrorlink 1.0 is on this thing, I'd swap for a more usable unit in a heartbeat)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:43:54 am by ratdude747 »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Mystery Connector Type Identification: Sony XAV-601BT
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 05:56:15 am »
Anybody? I hate bumping but I really have no idea what connector type this is.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:17:04 pm »
Have you considered taking a close look at the connector to determine whether there are unused pins on it ?

If there are, why not jumper the power tracks across to the unused pins on both connectors and effectively bypass the damaged part of the connector.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 05:30:31 pm »
Have you considered taking a close look at the connector to determine whether there are unused pins on it ?

If there are, why not jumper the power tracks across to the unused pins on both connectors and effectively bypass the damaged part of the connector.

Aurora

If anything I'd be more likely to swap both connectors for pin headers... IIRC pretty much every pin is used (maybe a few unused).

I've seen this style connector used on pretty much every head unit faceplace connector (all brands)... one would think they'd be more common. It's like a bizzare combo of a mezzanine and a card edge. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 05:36:32 pm »
AHA.

It is a panasonic mezzanine connector... the reason I didn't ID it before is that the product pictures on digikey/mouser don't show the female side by itself (but with the male side inserted)...

Bad news is that it seems to be non stocked a lot of places... good news is that with any luck I'll be able to get something.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 05:49:06 pm »
Nope. Fooled. Pitch is way too small... and looking at the datasheet, this ain't it.

The pitch, btw, appears to be a tad smaller than 100 mil... about 85 mil or so.

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 06:13:47 pm »
Try and see if matches metric 2 mm or 2.5 mm.
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 06:37:49 pm »
You will be lucky if that is even a commodity connector that you can buy.  Those tend to be custom or semi-custom parts made for OEM customers.  Your best bet would probably be to find a used gadget with that connector in it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 07:33:16 pm »
Try and see if matches metric 2 mm or 2.5 mm.

Looks like 2mm.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf