Author Topic: [FIXED!] Need Help: Acer 8930 le2 laptop keeps restarting after a few seconds  (Read 1068 times)

Offline WatthTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Edit: Fixed! see solution here  by user xavier60

Hey there,
A neighbour asked me to have a look at his Acer 8930G series laptop (model 8930G-844G32Bn). The laptop is still useful, and they'd like to be able to recover some files from the PC's HDD.
Initially the problem was that it didn't charge : removing one screw revealed the problem was the wire to the PSU connector was broken (stupide design idea : the barrel connector twists when the laptop screen is opened). It looks like a common failure un this model. I fixed the wire, the laptop is now powered.

Now the problem is that the laptop won't stay on for more than a few dozen seconds. Since the first try, it turned on, Windows started its repair process thing, and the PC would restart.
I checked the BIOS, set thing to default, removed the battery, and tried again : same thing, the laptop keeps restarting after a few dozen seconds (sometimes before).
I then tried with a live Ubunbtu USB drive, even after disconnecting the HDD, same thing.
I removed every thing I could (USB ports PCB, PCI slot, Optical disk drive, WiFi module, etc.) and the only thing remaining were the screen, the power button, the keyboard and the power adapter. I checked with either RAM modules. Same thing. The copper heat pipe is not that hot : I can keep my finger on it, so I guess it's under around 55°C. Still I replaced the thermal paste.
A weird thing : If I open the BIOS menu, it doesn't restart on its own.

TLDR: laptop restarts after a few dozen seconds on its own.

What could be the problem? What should I check?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:35:05 am by Watth »
Because "Matth" was already taken.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Graphics Processor NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Start windows in safe mode, this wont load gpu driver

Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline xavier60

• Super Contributor
The model seems to use the troublesome NEC Tokin capacitor that filters the Vcore supply.
Search for " Acer 8930G  NEC Tokin"
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

The following users thanked this post: Watth

• Regular Contributor
That could really be it. I'll definitely try to replace this.
To be continued...

• Regular Contributor
Well that was indeed the problem. I could fix the computer for 8.48€ of capacitors.
Thanks a lot!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf