Author Topic: Need help fixing Aoyue 857A++  (Read 3174 times)

Offline AtlanticTopic starter

Need help fixing Aoyue 857A++
« on: January 01, 2016, 02:08:07 pm »
Ive just got my aoyue 857A++ today and I plugged it in turned it on (220-240v model running on 240 volts) and the display displays all eights and blows out full temp and full speed I turn it off after 10 seconds and some smoke comes out of the nozzle. I've taken it apart and it seems like nothing is wrong no components are broken or incorrect but it just doesn't seem to work. I've had about 3 years of experience with electronics i'm only 15 years old but I've designed and made my own pcb's so I have some knowledge but I think I might need some help on this one.

Thanks, Atlantic.

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Need help fixing Aoyue 857A++
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 04:42:31 pm »
First of all, you need to disconnect the heater. Then start to troubleshoot the electronics. Check MCU power voltage for starters. Probably MCU is dead and this would be very bad as you most likely won't find the firmware needed to program a replacement MCU.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 05:47:31 pm »
Thanks for the reply that is just the hint I needed. BUT I cant go poking around safely because it does run with 240v on the board.

Anyway thanks,
Atlantic.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 07:06:28 pm »
BUT I cant go poking around safely because it does run with 240v on the board.
That is what you need to deal with when repairing something what have mains voltage on board, like SMPS, dimmers. In your case, probably you can avoid dealing with mains voltage by disconnecting it from PCB. If the transformer is powered not from PCB, then mains voltage on PCB is used only for powering heater and is not required for board operation. When dealing with mains, the first rule is to "keep your second hand in the pocket" while probing stuff. That means avoid situations when current can pass through your hands.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 08:01:54 pm »
Im probably just going to get the seller on ebay to send me another one because I paid 95 dollars for shipping and 100 for the product so maybe it will seem to them logical enough not to have to pay return shipping.
But yes I know the saying keep one hand In my pocket but I learned that 2 years ago when I had 800 v through the heart, im fine it was too low an amperage to cause a problem but I did learn my lesson even though when mucking around with a power supply on a broken printer i dug out of the trash at my old school I touched the heat sink which was directly connect to the live because the unit was faulty.

Thanks again,
Atlantic.

Maybe I could contact aoyue for the firmware and see if I can get another chip to replace then I would have 2 units.
A bit like the story with my hakko fx888d when I bought my first one it was a counterfeit and when I contacted the seller they were giving me some bull about how they were authorized and I contacted ebay about getting a refund they said I would need proof that it was a counterfeit. So I contact hakko and went through with the customer support and I sent some photos and I got a signed document from the manager of hakko stating that it was a counterfeit now I have 2 hakko stations one is a counterfeit though but I think this might also happen to the hot air station I bought, how funny.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 08:22:48 pm »
Paying $200 to get this piece of crap is just insane.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 06:37:13 am »
I know But the problem is that I live in Qatar and there are no stores here and i have to get everything off of banggood or ebay.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 09:44:44 am »
Certainly there are places with better shipping cost. Maybe particularly with hot air stations they have a poor choice but otherwise you should look at http://www.tme.eu/. They have very affordable shipping worldwide.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 09:55:21 am »
Regardless of poor choice of cheap hot air stations, for example, you could get this one http://www.tme.eu/en/details/etc-rw900d/hot-air-stations/etc-power/ for slightly more expensive than current aoyue as shipping should be much cheaper. Theough need to register to see exactly haw much. But as I have read, even to very remote 3rd world countries shipping was very affordable.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 09:59:00 am »
But as I have read, even to very remote 3rd world countries shipping was very affordable.

It is actually on their site (25 USD); http://www.tme.eu/en/HowBuy/Qatar/Means-and-cost-of-transport.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf