Author Topic: Need Help Identifying a Part  (Read 331 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline willbanks

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 35
  • Country: us
Need Help Identifying a Part
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:31:57 pm »
Hey all, I don't post here much but I have run into a wall.

I work at a local repair shop, and I was given a Casio AP620 piano. The velocity of some of the keys were off and some keys didnt respond at all. I eventually identified the problem as a broken connector for the flat ribbon cable. When I pinched the connector together, it worked normally again.

There is a crack in the jack connector that is causing no contact to be made, so I figured all I would have to do is replace the 30 pin female jack. But for the life of me, I can't find one anywhere, as I expected it would be fairly common. I searched up things like "flat ribbon cable female 30 pin connector", but nothing came up that would work or fit the pinout.

So what I am asking is does anyone know what a connector like this would be "properly" called? I figured I must not be typing in the right keywords. I attached two pictures of the connector, one has the latch on and the other has the latch off. It is through hole and has 30 pins. I also attached a picture which shows what the kind of cable is that is inserted into the connector.

If you have any idea what this piece would be called or know where I could get one, it would be awesome if you could let me know. Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:33:43 pm by willbanks »
hobbyist. diy synths.

Offline pbarton

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 225
  • Country: gb
Re: Need Help Identifying a Part
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:11:45 pm »
It's a Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) socket, through hole, vertical mounting with 30 contacts/pins. With some specific pitch.
So search for "ZIF socket, 30 contacts, vertical"
Molex make several versions of these.
Available from your local distributer, etc.
The following users thanked this post: willbanks

Offline willbanks

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 35
  • Country: us
Re: Need Help Identifying a Part
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 10:33:02 pm »
thank you so much!
hobbyist. diy synths.

Offline fzabkar

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 685
  • Country: au
Re: Need Help Identifying a Part
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 10:38:37 pm »
Searching for FFC/FPC might help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo