Author Topic: Need help sourcing stainless steel crimp-on ring or lug terminals  (Read 1083 times)

Offline door kingTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi everyone,

I'm rehabbing an old ozone generator.  The job is pretty simple:  I'm just cleaning built-up grime that's been grounding out most of the current that should be going to the plates, and replacing the corroded nuts/bolts and terminals for the plate contacts.  I want to use all stainless hardware to prevent the same corrosion problems moving forward.  Finding stainless nuts and bolts was easy enough, but the ring terminals are another story.  My usual go-tos (DigiKey, Mouser, Newark) have next to nothing in the way of stainless steel and what they do have must be ordered in giant quantities and/or has a lead time of several months. 

Can anyone out there recommend a source of stainless crimp-on ring terminals?  I am in the USA.  My screws are in the 3mm or #4 size range, so I'm looking for a fairly small ring. 

Thanks!

Offline jdragoset

• Regular Contributor

Offline Bargainhunter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Need help sourcing stainless steel crimp-on ring or lug terminals
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 09:04:18 pm »
Now I'm getting somewhere.  I wired up the 2sd1020 transistor, the zener the 1000uf electrolytic and the 100 ohm resistor as in the diagram and BINGO,  I got 3.5 volts on the emitter.  I tried the NTE293 and also got 3.5 volts on the emitter.  So now I'm getting someplace.  I couldn't solder the 2sd1020 or the NTE293 on the circuit board with the emitter lifted because I had a couple traces starting to lift because of the soldering and de-soldering.  I also have the 1000uf electrolytic off the board because I didn't have a 6.3v electrolytic to solder on the board.  The original cap was bulging.  I used a 10v 1000uf to do the testing but it is too large to fit on the board.  I have some 6.3v caps on order and they should arrive tomorrow or Monday.  I will then test the transistors on the board with the emitter lifted and measure the voltage.  If I don't get 3.3 volts, then I know there is a problem with a connection on the circuit board or a component on the board.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 09:08:45 pm »
Now I'm getting somewhere.

Note quite the correct "somewhere" I think!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 09:12:22 pm »
Hmm, stainless is an unusual material in the electrical/electronic world. Where you might find suitable parts is stuff intended to terminate wire rope, try a ship's chandlers as there's a lot of small SS wire rope used as stays on boats.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Jeff eelcr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 01:46:24 am »
Try hi temp like used in appliance's stoves etc repair parts stores.
Jeff

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 06:34:05 am »
braze a stainless tube of the correct diameter to a washer and crimp it

Offline door kingTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2022, 03:53:29 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their replies.  After concluding that stainless terminals are pretty much impossible to find in the size I need, I shelved the project for a while.  I came back to it and started looking for alternative materials and ended up going with solid Nickel.  Nickel is supposed to have excellent ozone resistance.  It might actually be better than stainless for this application since nickel can be soldered.  I can fill the joint after I crimp it for improved contact.  Not sure how resistant to ozone the solder will be, but I'll cover it all with heat shrink to be safe. 

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2022, 04:21:43 pm »
I can fill the joint after I crimp it for improved contact.
Never do this. A crimp (when done with the right tools) is superior to a soldered joint. Crimping is a welding process but instead of heat, pressure is used to make the metals flow.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf