Author Topic: Need help to indentify this component - GS60 motherboard  (Read 2395 times)

Offline arteoqTopic starter

Need help to indentify this component - GS60 motherboard
« on: January 26, 2018, 05:28:59 am »
Hey All,

Anybody know what's the component inside the red circles?  Please check attachment.
The photo is taken from my MSI gaming laptop GS60 motherboard.  Have look around the net but can't anything about it

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: Need help to indentify this component - GS60 motherboard
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 06:14:00 am »
Given the layout around it and the pin layout i would say that is a kelvin(4 terminal) current shunt resistor, likely part of the power delivery circuitry.

EDIT: By the way those mosfets up the top look like they got pretty hot due to how discolored the board is around them.

The following users thanked this post: arteoq

Offline zvonex66x

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 04:10:52 pm »
Hey All,

Anybody know what's the component inside the red circles?  Please check attachment.
The photo is taken from my MSI gaming laptop GS60 motherboard.  Have look around the net but can't anything about it

Mark says U2 and U3... some active component

Offline GrahamC

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 04:42:15 pm »
I would say that Bernie is most likely correct - a four terminal current sense resistor

an example of something similar:

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/427/wsk0612-1013824.pdf

cheers, Graham

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 08:31:29 pm »
Thank everyone for the replies.

Quite confirm it's 4 terminal shunt resistor. Since the value is too small, my cheap Heles DMM cant read the resistance, but my Keysight DMM can read 0.05 ohm on the legs of this component.

@Berni, hey thanks to spot the discoloring on the PQ16 area. I tried to look for any faulty component but cant find crack or burning components. The laptop power adapter look over loaded and the internal fuse is cut off when plugged. There is no short on + and - terminal, it simply over loaded. Only this PQ16 that's suspiciously faulty

Unfortunately somehow no marking on PQ16 and PQ15 IC, are you able to guess what are these ic? The pcb model ms-16h21 doesnt seems available on internet

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:49:52 pm »
From another laptop msi motherboard ms-1683 schematic (can be found on google), does this ic actually AO4932? The pin configuration looks similar

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 09:20:35 pm »
They have clearly made up there own component designators letters if they call the ram Mx while you see other things like PCx ECx PRx on passives.

As for PQ16 PQ15 i would say that is a single MOSFET. Looks like the Q5 package from texas instruments.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:00:03 pm »
so how did you manage to make the contacts burn up in that connector??
that plug/socket & wires are done for!

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 04:07:36 am »
so how did you manage to make the contacts burn up in that connector??
that plug/socket & wires are done for!

Not sure  ;D I actually bought this set cheaply to canibalized some parts for my laptop. My laptop is working now, but It's good if I can pump up another life to this broken set. The connector is still good, as I tried it on working set

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 04:16:09 am »
They have clearly made up there own component designators letters if they call the ram Mx while you see other things like PCx ECx PRx on passives.

As for PQ16 PQ15 i would say that is a single MOSFET. Looks like the Q5 package from texas instruments.

MSI seems have their own standard desigator naming. It's quite consistent across their schematic documents.

Yeah looks like the ic package is from TI. Now either i have to wait someone upload this board schematic or just buy random TI mosfet and try on this board.
The most i can do now is to take off this component and check the circuit underneath this ic

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 07:26:30 am »
These MOSFETS all have a standard pinout so any will fit as long as you get the P or N type correctly. You can find that out by reverse engineering the switching converter. Most of the time N type are used even in buck converters due to having better specs. You can find out what kind of transistor it needs by looking at the other components of the switcher such as the in/out voltage and inductor size

Also as usual for transistors usually fail short circuit so its a good idea to Ohm it out with a multimeter. Also when something power related dies it often also causes a short across the associated power rail and that can sometimes be traced back to the source of the problem using a good multimeter for miliOhms. If you are lucky it could be a blown semiconductor switch or capacitor.

EDIT: Oh and seeing a bootstrap capacitor in a buck switchmode supply is a pretty good hint that its likely using a N type transistor
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:28:59 am by Berni »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf