Author Topic: need help w/ wine cooler component ID  (Read 988 times)

Offline billbyrd1945Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
need help w/ wine cooler component ID
« on: January 26, 2019, 05:22:36 pm »
I have two diodes that I believe to be zeners. The schematic uses that symbol but gives no value. One of them is marked C11 ST while the other one is C7V5 ST. I want to replace them both but would prefer something more than a guess if possible. Testing the C11 with a bench power supply, I get about 11.5volts, the C7V5 measures about 7.5volts. I haven't found listings for those exact part numbers. There will always be accompanying numbers or letters that, I assume, affect their value. I've tried looking at various datasheets, but I'm not sure what data confirms whether the component referred to is what I need. Unfortunately, all I know about the boards is that they ultimately output 8volts and 12.5 volts and they receive input from thermistors attached to the cooing units. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
Re: need help w/ wine cooler component ID
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 05:37:54 pm »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:33:30 pm by soldar »
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:06:49 pm »
So is there something wrong with it?  Sounds like you know the parts and they're reading the correct value.... so what's the fault?

Sounds like the outputs are about a diode drop more than the zeners, which could be easily accomplished in a few ways with the zeners configured as shunt regulators, maybe biasing an output power transistor, but it sounds to me like they're working.

Offline billbyrd1945Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:57:15 pm »
"Is there something wrong with them?"

Leads damaged when removed for testing.

Online fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 11:11:28 pm »
You need to ensure that the wattage of your replacements is fit for purpose. You can do that by calculating the diode current from the circuit components in the vicinity.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf