Author Topic: Stone file  (Read 1533 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline akis

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 966
  • Country: gb
Stone file
« on: October 19, 2016, 07:42:57 am »
I have had for a while a rectangular, stone-like file, it is roughly 10cm long, and about 6mm each side square, it has snapped in two pieces, I am attaching a photo of the smaller piece (have probably lost the other), it is very fine and have used it to gently sand down bits and pieces like say epoxy coated copper wires. I would like to buy a new one, but I cannot find it I do not even know what it's called.


Offline RoGeorge

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2425
  • Country: ro
Re: Stone file
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:54:48 am »
It looks like a knife sharpener stone.

Online tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 18695
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Stone file
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:57:03 am »
It's just an oilstone, in your case one that's commonly used on small cutting edge tools like loppers, secateurs etc.

Here's a google search with all you need to know and some sources.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Andy Watson

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1750
Re: Stone file
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 09:45:14 am »
I think this depends on your locale and trade. I know them as slip-stones but I have also heard them being called die-maker stones, Norton stones and (perhaps wrongly) Emery sticks.

Offline Mickster

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 34
  • Country: bm
Re: Stone file
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 11:26:51 pm »
Kinda reminds me of a cylinder hone insert. (Cylinder hones are used to de-glaze engine blocks when replacing piston rings)

Take a look here and see if these inserts are possibly what you have:


Offline eKretz

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 826
Re: Stone file
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 08:21:06 am »
The oil stone guess is correct. You can see written on the side of the stone "SiC Fin" - this is silicon carbide - fine grade (that isn't very meaningful, fine can be graded differently between different makers), a common synthetic honing stone abrasive.

Most commonly these are referred to as slip stones. Try a company called Gesswein - they make some very nice ones.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo