Electronics > Repair

NICE automatic gate controller and ants

(1/2) > >>

jtu:
My automatic gate stopped working after ~10 years of the service. I opened the controller, mains were present, but no signs of life. There was too much dirt kind of stuff present inside I decided to tear it down for cleaning anyway. There was no actual repair needed. The root cause was just ants trying to make a nest inside. My guess is that one of the anties made a small brown splash I cleaned off. After cleaning and changing the fuse it is working again. This was easy. Maybe should be published under teardown instead of repair :D

Ants tried to make their nest, laid eggs mostly against / around the the high side of the power supply. Interesting choice.

Strange that this nice NICE Italian device is actually open from the downside... Not just ants, any worm and even mice could get inside. And it is supposed for outdoors use by design, but it is just IP44.

Few pics for those with mostly visual perception.

Zucca:
 :horse:
In Italy ants go in the kitchen

jtu:

--- Quote from: zucca on April 15, 2018, 07:28:48 pm ---In Italy ants go in the kitchen

--- End quote ---

:D

Arek_R:
If I would be doing this I would spray paint entire PCB in some dedicated lacquer.

jtu:

--- Quote from: Arek_R on April 15, 2018, 09:15:57 pm ---If I would be doing this I would spray paint entire PCB in some dedicated lacquer.

--- End quote ---

This is a good idea, thanks. I'll add it to my to-do-some-day list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version