Author Topic: OCZ Vertex 2 SSD firmware  (Read 31146 times)

Offline martonmiklos

• Contributor
Re: OCZ Vertex 2 SSD firmware
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 06:13:09 am »
Thanks man!  :-+

I have managed to get the mentioned drive back to life.

Side notes:
- The mptool uses some older Fedora distribution, on newer systems (NVIDIA quadro GPU in my case) you might get black screen or 640*480 resolution where you cannot access the buttons properly. Use an older preferably Intel GPU based system (I have used an old Core2 DUO based HP notebook)
- I have used esata adapter which made the retry cycles easy.
- I have wasted a lot of time because I have tried to recover my drive with a blank IIC EEPROM (in this mode it came up in mfg mode by default). I have had to flash back the malformed (bad) contents, put to MFG mode with the P8-P9 jumper and then it went smootly. This particulary breaks the theory that the drive is stopped due the malformed I2C chip contents.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:22:18 am by martonmiklos »

The following users thanked this post: aleksio

Offline aleksio

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 06:03:18 pm »
Hi, i've tried to resurrect my OCZ Vertex 2 following the provided instructions but I can’t complete the entire procedure. Maybe I do something wrong...
Here below what I’ve done:
- PC powered off;
- Disconnected optical drives and disks except the SSD to restore;
- Switch on the PC while shorting P8-P9 for few seconds (-> green light with a single flash of red light);
- SSD detected by BIOS as “Sandforce”;
- Boot from Live USB;
   During boot process, some some errors appear:
      ata2: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
      ata2: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
      ata2: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
      ata2: SRST failed (errno=-16)

When I launch MPTool from the Desktop an error appears in the background terminal window:
      insmod: error inserting ‘./ssdt_driver.ko’: -1 Operation not permitted

Then I follow the procedure successfully until step 11. In step 12, in the "Manufacturing Config" tab, the “Config Name” field is empty, no option available and the mask is disabled, only the buttons at the bottom are available (Update license, etc…).

Can someone give me some hint?
Thank you in advance!

Offline martonmiklos

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2017, 01:59:45 am »
Hi,

When I did the recovery I have soldered a jumper to the P8-9 and only removed when the recovery procedure was at the rebooting drive stage.
The ata2 errors in the dmesg are normal I think (I also have had a few).

I do not remember to the "operation is not permitted" error.

On the manufacturing config tab you have to browse for the pkg file generated in the previous steps. Once you have loaded it it will enable the rest of the widgets.

Offline EHT

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 07:51:00 am »
I had one of these OCZ drives which bricked as well. Luckily it was in guarantee but I would stay away now. Having realised the hard way that consumer SSDs can corrupt their internal state during unexpected power down, i've now moved to use the datacentre ranges of SSDs (Intel & Samsung) which have 'supercapacitors' that provide backup power for long enough to complete in-flight writes. These are more expensive but they also have better reliability and typically better performance as well.

Offline groszexxx

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 12:06:28 am »
Hello
I want unbrick my old ocz vertex 2.
Anyone can reupload mptool ? Cause this link http://pan.baidu.com/s/1m9Oia is dead.
Edit:
By vpn link is works.
I made mirror:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B42B8K8c0zs_MFp1eS1MUnRWYUE?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:36:28 am by groszexxx »

The following users thanked this post: KBDE

Offline martonmiklos

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 03:35:47 am »
If anyone would have a similar tool for the SF-22xx family and would be able to share it I would deeply appericiate!

Offline aleksio

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 05:19:04 pm »
I've found something...I hope this can help you.

https://yadi.sk/d/ArxahL0xvikaS

The following users thanked this post: martonmiklos

Offline carlo64

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 06:52:08 am »
Hi,
I have PCB-0025-X01
and not found P8 e P9 to solder!
and.... I try to connect serial tag but nothing! |O
any help?
thanks

Offline Diego72

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 08:29:18 am »
Hello everybody,

A friend have a OCZ vertex Le went i think in panic mode.

I tried to reflash firmware.

I used the tool from ocz toolbox boot onto a usb but the ssd isn't recognized 
I have a similar error like alexsio error -16 on boot with tool from ocz when Linux at startup try to open sata channel.

I understood I have to enter a kind of managment mode (MFG mode) but I havn't any p8 p9 where to solder jumper connector. My SSD isn't a Vertex 2 but a Vertex Le based onto a OCZ ICT0027 controller Anandtech said many yaers ago it was something hybrid controller between SF 1200 e SF 1500

I would be gratefull if any of you may help me identifing what connector to jumper to make ssd visible to flashing firmware tool.

Thank you for your kind help.

Diego

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:28:08 am by Diego72 »

Offline Killer_Awesome_Phantom

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 08:27:12 pm »
Hi

I have vertex 2 120GB that i'm trying to re-flash but when i get to the select "flash part number" it does not have my part number (29f64g08cbaaa) but if i change the drive capacity to (100GB) then it shows me the flash part number i have. Does any one have the firmware for my flash number or have a suggestion on a work around.

SSD Info:
Model: OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G
Flash: 29f64g08cbaaa
Controller: Sandforce sf-1222TA3-SBH

Thank you

Offline bugerdread

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 08:23:05 pm »
Hi,

first of all I want to thank you for sharing all the information above, which finally allowed me to fix bricked Vertex2!

Here are some observations which may help others trying to do the same:

- I used push button to connect P8 - P9, pressed it before turning PC on, holding all the time until MPtool starts to process (format) it

- In case that SSD is detected by BIOS (as Sandforce because P8 and P9 connected together) but not in MP Tool and the console launched together with MP Tool complains about "insmod: error inserting ‘./ssdt_driver.ko’: -1 Operation not permitted" make sure you enabled AHCI in BIOS or try to use different motherboard (PC) for the procedure. I was not able to get Vertex detected in MP Tool on Gigabyte GA-K8NE mobo (quite old, no AHCI option in BIOS) and MSI MS-7592 ver 7.1 (also old one, no AHCI in BIOS again), both showing "ssdt_driver.ko" error in console. Then I tried much newer Asus Z97M-plus and everything worked as expected.

I have one more question: Is anybody able to tell me which version of Sandforce SF 1222 firmware (or OCZ Vertex2 fw, as the OCZ fw numbering differs from original SF numbering) is fixing this "brick issue" (=prevents from bricking again)?

Here are my notes with some pictures of the procedure: http://buger.dread.cz/ocz-vertex2-unbrick.html

Thanks again :-)

The following users thanked this post: KBDE

Offline KBDE

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2018, 03:58:36 am »
Hi,
I have PCB-0025-X01
and not found P8 e P9 to solder!
and.... I try to connect serial tag but nothing! |O
any help?
thanks

I have the same revision board. No P8 or P9 pins. It's a 60GB one.

I'll investigate but in case anyone knows; where are these P8 and P9 pins connected to?

Any hints are welcome. :)

Thanks guys.

/update1: Okay i think i'm just going to try blocking the SDA signal on startup. (i'll do this by shorting SDA to VCC) wish me luck. ;)

/update2: Just tried it and it indeed goes into MFG mode (bios shows a 25gb Sandforce disc) but i just cannot seem to get the tool to recognize the SSD.

/update3: Okay next i shorted pin 2 and 3 of the Atmel, same issue as before.
Then I tried a different SATA controller on mainboard (marvel) this one actually worked!! So i have my SSD back running again.

Next on the list is to find the correct device ID's so i can use the official OCZ toolbox for updating the firmware etc.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:32:36 am by KBDE »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf