Author Topic: OCZ Vertex 2 SSD firmware  (Read 149049 times)

Offline skyblaster

Re: OCZ Vertex 2 SSD firmware
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2019, 12:33:00 am »
On account of a failing power supply, my trusty Patriot Inferno 120GB (SF-1222 based) went into panic mode after about 20 random abrupt shutdowns.
Thanks to KBDE's comment about shorting SDA to VCC on the EEPROM, I used an SOIC-8 clip with a jumper between pins 5 and 8 for a seamless no-solder recovery using MP-Tool.

As I'm sure others have noticed, the licence file used in this recovery method is meant for "asiacom", which afterwards causes the OCZ, Patriot, etc. firmware update utilities to fail.
My drive now seems stuck at revision level 346A13F0 instead of 363A13F0, which was the latest released firmware from Patriot Memory.
It's working, so I'm happy, but it would be nice to know if there's a way to apply v3.6.3 or even v3.7.0 (the latest from OCZ AFAIK).

I'm sure the answer is buried in there somewhere!
http://gallery.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=84&topic=4797
http://gallery.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=84&topic=5239
http://gallery.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=84&topic=5360
http://gallery.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=84&topic=5471

Offline FalconFour

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2020, 05:20:40 am »
Worthy bump!

Today I found a Vertex2 SSD in my long-abandoned junk bin. It was junk for the obvious reason as stated elsewhere - it locked up at some point long ago, who knows how... probably by going to sleep (I use sleep on my laptops multiple times a day, like you put your phone to sleep).

Now some untold years later, I figure there had to be a solution to it by now. Googled it, which led me here. And it led me SO VERY CLOSE to the solution... yet, not quite.

Let me do a little give-and-take exchange here. What I have to offer is my experience with my Vertex2, and what I ask is for any shred of hope that another firmware/manufacturing file may be in existence - because that's what's stopped my efforts cold.

So, what I can tell so far is that our tools available here are very much the result of a leak, probably by a company called AsiaCom (which, quick Google, is a company that offers services like this). No company ever really makes its own products - they develop them, specifying what parts are used, what the controller will do, maybe how things are laid out on the board... and they ask consulting companies for that, then they take the result, send it to a contract manufacturer, then take the resulting product and stuff store shelves with it. AsiaCom was just one contract manufacturer, perhaps of several, that actually built and manufacture-programmed the drives for OCZ. Heck, maybe even AsiaCom did some (or much) of the board design itself, with OCZ's input.

That means this one file is just one leak, of one subset of boards that would be used in a drive with the OCZ Vertex2 label on it. That's actually pretty huge - not many products get a leak like that for repairability reasons. Those files are pretty well legal protected, and AsiaCom could pretty easily lose their contract with OCZ if OCZ were still around... but since they're kinda not so much, it's a bit more open to interpretation. My interpretation is that this is awesome and could save a lot of SSDs from the E-waste shredder...

Mine, not so fortunate. Mine seems to be YET ANOTHER revision of the Vertex2 drive design - unlike the two other variants I've seen so far.

My drive is a 90GB model, labeled "OCZ TECH PCB-0075 X01", and it uses MT (Micron) 29F32G08CBABAWP chips - 24 of them, not 16. There is no configuration choice for that - the one that most closely matches is a 50GB model, but uses 16 chips instead (on scale, that seems correct). However, it also uses a SF-1222 chip, not a SF-1200.

Most importantly, this board does NOT have the P8 and P9 pads in positions that would make sense to do the "manufacturing mode" switch. Instead, it has an unpopulated "J3" thru-hole pattern near the UART port and LEDs. On a hunch, I just shorted the pads when powering it up. It detected as "SandForce" and 28GB-or-so, as expected for manufacturing mode. MPTool happily detected it. I also found that you can totally get it in and out of manufacturing mode by hot-plugging the power connector; MPTool detects it (with the jumper for mfg mode if you want it, of course).

However, any attempt by MPTool to "process drive" in manufacturing mode, or to do self test, data log, etc... just runs into a bus error - ATA command failed, "Error in IOCTL SEND ATA Call. Error code = 80c00002". Google led me to a forum thread on that, lots of info, all in Russian. I might spend the night reading over the Russian forum thread through Chrome's translate... (normally a Firefox user ;) )

MPTool reports my drive as currently being "106A11R0", which highly suggests being the firmware version. Being as though I'm trying to flash something to the tune of 346A13F0, that looks like an entirely different version lineage, and explains why I can't find the right config, nor get the tool to talk to it. It's an entirely different animal.

TL;DR:
- there are variants to the Vertex2, one size doesn't fit all, but might fit most.
- this firmware bundle is a leak, possibly old, thus why it doesn't include all variants.
- the leak might be from only one of several contract manufacturers (CMs) that OCZ used
- there are more firmware files to be found - possibly more versions of MPTool as well.
- my board has a jumper, J2, instead of P8 and P9 pads, to enter manufacturing mode.
- my drive is still dead :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:25:53 am by FalconFour »

Offline sebastku

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2020, 04:40:39 pm »
Hello FalconFour

I have a Vertex2 SSD with the same board revision, but not at hand right now. Mine had 32 Intel JS29F32G08AAMDB Chips and no configuraion suited to this. However I managed to sucessfully flash it with a configuration for 16 JS29F32G08AAMDB Chips, which meant that it only had a capacity of 60GB instead of 120GB afterwards.
As far as I know Snadforce only produced one revision of their SF-1200 series, the SF1222 mentioned by you. I am aware that flashing the given firmware would mean a downgrade both in terms of software and drive capacity but for me it was still better then having a drive that doesn't work at all. For me the configuration 12024 seems to be the best choice for you.

As far as i remember this drive has two througholes near the SATA connector shorting those out brought my drive into manufacturing mode. If that doesn't work you can short pins 5 and 8 of the Atmel Chip that always brout my drives into manufacturing mode.

Don't forget to set your SATA mode to AHCI because otherwise the drivers for the MPTool can't load. It's also completely normal if your Mainboard takes ages to get past the POST screen. Sometimes the MPTool fails during one of the two reboot stages in this case it might help to restart the flashing process. I also experineced boards where this always fails with a busy drive error, in this case you have to try it on another board, some chipsets seem to timeout before the drive is ready.

If you have further questions feel free to ask and good luck with your drive.

Offline Vtx2

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2020, 09:46:28 am »
Hi,

does anybody still have the mptool 1.1.2 and could you upload it somewhere?
When I download the mptool from the googledrive mirror, I get a "the disc image file is corrupted" message.

Thanks!

Offline Vtx2

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2020, 06:51:13 pm »
Please, anyone.

Thanks!

Offline faruknamdar

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2021, 01:46:54 pm »
Hello friends. I have OCZ Vertex2 120 GB. This is not working at the moment and I am doing the instructions in the whole forum, but when doing Process Drive it gives this error. I choose the one in the picture which is 100 gb instead of 120 gb. What do you think could be the problem? Or do I have to break this SSD away?1184930-0

Offline sebastku

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2021, 12:33:00 am »
Make sure you have selected the right Flash Part Number for your SSD and the correct (or lower) amount of flash chips. If so, you could try to deactivate the Flash Connectivity Test option in the Manufacturing Config tab and save it. It might just check for the flash chips an the wrong adresses. But if you do this, I would suggest to check your SSD afterwards whether the whole capacity is usable or not.

Offline Yekuku

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2021, 08:09:21 am »
Sorry for bringing this old thread back.
I am trying to download the files from BAIDU but unfortunately I cant register an account.
Can anybody please  re-share these files?
many thanks

Offline El_kiwito

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2022, 02:47:01 pm »
Sorry for bringing this old thread back.
I am trying to download the files from BAIDU but unfortunately I cant register an account.
Can anybody please  re-share these files?
many thanks

+1

Offline martonmiklosTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Blog
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2022, 07:11:44 pm »

Offline degreelessengineer

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2022, 07:13:02 pm »
Hello FalconFour

I have a Vertex2 SSD with the same board revision, but not at hand right now. Mine had 32 Intel JS29F32G08AAMDB Chips and no configuraion suited to this. However I managed to sucessfully flash it with a configuration for 16 JS29F32G08AAMDB Chips, which meant that it only had a capacity of 60GB instead of 120GB afterwards.
As far as I know Snadforce only produced one revision of their SF-1200 series, the SF1222 mentioned by you. I am aware that flashing the given firmware would mean a downgrade both in terms of software and drive capacity but for me it was still better then having a drive that doesn't work at all. For me the configuration 12024 seems to be the best choice for you.

As far as i remember this drive has two througholes near the SATA connector shorting those out brought my drive into manufacturing mode. If that doesn't work you can short pins 5 and 8 of the Atmel Chip that always brout my drives into manufacturing mode.

Don't forget to set your SATA mode to AHCI because otherwise the drivers for the MPTool can't load. It's also completely normal if your Mainboard takes ages to get past the POST screen. Sometimes the MPTool fails during one of the two reboot stages in this case it might help to restart the flashing process. I also experineced boards where this always fails with a busy drive error, in this case you have to try it on another board, some chipsets seem to timeout before the drive is ready.

If you have further questions feel free to ask and good luck with your drive.

I had this exact board with the 32 Intel JS29F32G08AAMDB NAND chips. On a whim, I decided to flash it with the 120GB configuration with the configuration meant for JS29F64G08CAMDB which according to the datasheet is just a two die version of the JS29F32G08AAMDB. It ended up working and I have the full 120GB capacity on the drive verified by filling up the drive, HDtune, and running a Windows install.

My gut feeling is that the PCB is laid out with CS pins for either 32X JS29F32G08AAMDB or 16X JS29F64G08CAMDB since the JS29F64G08CAMDB essentially is just two JS29F32G08AAMDB in one package.

The following users thanked this post: martonmiklos, sebastku

Offline sebastku

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2022, 01:20:03 pm »
Thanks for your advice degreelessengineer,
I tried it out on my SSD as well and I also can confirm it being working. Although I think you meant that you now have 100GB of capacity as the config I found and ended up using (12011), reports 16X JS29F64G08CAMDB but only 100GB of capacity. As mentioned in an earlier post, I think the remaining capacity is getting used as additional overprovisioning area for the drive. But at least now it uses all the flash chips of my board.

This also shows that if you don't find the exact config of your drive in the list you might want to look out for configs with similar sounding chips and compare their respective datasheets. That is if you can find them.

Offline alligatorrr

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2022, 10:16:44 am »
Anyone can reupload mptool ? Cause this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sqy6vt5rljv1n4/SF1xxx.zip?dl=0 is dead.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:21:31 pm by alligatorrr »

Offline martonmiklosTopic starter

• Contributor
    • Blog
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2022, 07:47:37 am »

Offline alligatorrr

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2022, 07:54:35 am »
Thank you so much friend!!! :clap:

The following users thanked this post: martonmiklos

Share me