Author Topic: Yamaha rx-v667 HDMI fault  (Read 11160 times)

Offline hcardleTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Yamaha rx-v667 HDMI fault
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 11:45:37 pm »
I gave the board to our electronics assembly lab. They have all the gear including hot air station. They did say it was difficult to get off and they destroyed the old component. They also said the quality of the circuit board was poor. They are used to Mil Std parts though. The Epad was soldered from back side of board, there are 5 very small through holes. This is done blind of course and a fair amount of heat would be required as it is probably connected to ground plane. They did say that if it did not work I could try to reheat that part. I would imagine that even if this was poorly connected it would still successfully pass a self test at low power. All of the other soldered joints look perfect.
When I do the loop back tests HDMI 3 and 4 fail which also supports IC3 fault.
I might have a look at other components around IC3, particularly the transistors and diodes on input. Failing that try replacing IC71 then I am done.
Options I am looking at then are either Marantz NR1607 or YAMAHA RX-AS710. I gather you favour Yamaha over Marantz.

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 03:13:37 am »
I gave the board to our electronics assembly lab. They have all the gear including hot air station. They did say it was difficult to get off and they destroyed the old component. They also said the quality of the circuit board was poor. They are used to Mil Std parts though. The Epad was soldered from back side of board, there are 5 very small through holes. This is done blind of course and a fair amount of heat would be required as it is probably connected to ground plane. They did say that if it did not work I could try to reheat that part. I would imagine that even if this was poorly connected it would still successfully pass a self test at low power. All of the other soldered joints look perfect.
When I do the loop back tests HDMI 3 and 4 fail which also supports IC3 fault.
I might have a look at other components around IC3, particularly the transistors and diodes on input. Failing that try replacing IC71 then I am done.
Options I am looking at then are either Marantz NR1607 or YAMAHA RX-AS710. I gather you favour Yamaha over Marantz.

I definitely prefer Yamaha. There is a continuity of design and troubleshooting technique for more than the past twenty years. They were the first to be serious about built-in diagnostic software, and even though some of it is kinda over my head, it's still consistently useful. Doesn't replace old-school troubleshooting, but it's a big help.

Also, they try to provide repair parts longer than the others, and in the U.S. at least, take much better care or their customers when they do have a problem. As an authorized servicer, I virtually had the last word on what was necessary to take care of my client; the decisions weren't left totally up to some bean-counter. For the most part, they are still this way. I wish I were still part of the network.

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 03:48:17 am »
I ended up taking it to another shop. They quoted $820 for a replacement HDMI board. He did say he resoldered about 30 pins on the chip I had replaced but it still didn't work.
I took it home and ordered the Yamaha RX-AS710 from Excell HIFI. good price.
http://www.excelhifi.com.au/

I will do the self diagnosis on the old kit once again to see if there is any change. I might try changing IC71, Sil9134CTU.
I might keep my eye open for second hand board too. Only problem for me is freight out of USA is horrible so best bet is to find a local one perhaps with a different fault.

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 08:55:24 am »
So I have now got the new Yamaha RX-AS710 set up and it is very good. Bluetooth, wireless, internet radio and all that. Sounds fine too.
So i have gone back and run the self diagnosis on the old 667 again. Now it passes the Digital PCB comms and bus line connection. So changing IC3 has made a difference.
Now when I run the self test it fails some of the loop back tests. V2.1 which appears to be a bi-directional HDMI check, it fails IN2 check. All other inputs are OK. Test V2.2 loop back appears to be single direction INTO the HDMI inputs and OUT of the IC71. These all fail.
What is the difference between these 2 tests?
I'm suspecting IC71, any opinions?

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 12:20:27 pm »
Well, on a best guess i have ordered the SiI9134CTU. I will let you know.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf