Author Topic: OEM car radio wont power up...  (Read 1674 times)

Offline kasumykuTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
OEM car radio wont power up...
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:56:44 am »
Hi guys,

Not sure where to post this ( beginners or repair section), I guess its a bit of both...

I'm a newbie and still learning about electronics so please have a bit of patience ;)
I came into possession of an Vw OEM radio, label says Premium 8.
Person who I got it from said that it stopped working suddenly and it wont turn on. I googled a bit about it, not much I could find except that its a common issue with these units.

So far I have tried powering up, checked fuse, opened it up but.... man I'm really lost here....

:-// I really don't know where to start with troubleshooting this fellow.

Any tips on where to start would be much appreciated!!!

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: OEM car radio wont power up...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 01:10:24 am »
for VW, your going to need to to emulate the canbus ignition message, most recent models only have a permanent supply and are woken up by the data bus,

Offline kasumykuTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 01:54:09 am »
I didn't wanted to get more into details but that's another part of me trying troubleshooting this unit...

My brother let remove his WORKING radio from his VW Tiguan and replace it with this malfunctioned radio( to see if its gonna turn on) and no luck on getting this one powering up..... so it must be something else.

BTW the only thing I got from this step of troubleshooting is that now I have to get a radio code for his head unit :( , which is about $100 bucks from VW stealership ...

Anyways, I guess that's the hard way of learning more about electronics.

Once again, any tips on steps of troubleshooting this unit would be much appreciated !!!!

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 02:49:07 am »
Looking at what i can find, the radio code is in the 95128 eeprom inside it, but it seems its only been discovered how to decode the first 2 digits,

Care to post all the details on the problem radios sticker, i may be able to find a wiring diagram or similar

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf