Author Topic: OH NO! I bricked my Siglent SSA3021X  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
OH NO! I bricked my Siglent SSA3021X
« on: December 08, 2018, 06:46:33 pm »
World ends, etc.  :rant:  :palm:

I've been using my spectrum analyzer for checking a low power ham radio transmitter I just put together and thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the SSA3021X firmware from V1.2.8.1 to V.1.2.9.2a (2018/11/1). I formatted a thumb drive and copied the file to the drive, in it goes in the USB port. I'm in the firmware screen, it read the contents on the thumb drive, I selected the file and the screen says don't power off, it might reboot several times, etc. I let it run for quite a while and I had that feeling something went very wrong. Yup. Bricked. I tried to ssh into it with no luck.

The good news (I think) is the unit is still in warranty, I have one more year left out of the three year warranty.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: OH NO! I bricked my Siglent SSA3021X
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 06:49:03 pm »
Note: you didn't brick it.  Siglent shitty firmware updater bricked it. This should not be a possible outcome and there should be a recovery option.

The following users thanked this post: Rasz, BillyD, Kilrah, Johncanfield

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:07:06 pm »
World ends, etc.  :rant:  :palm:

I've been using my spectrum analyzer for checking a low power ham radio transmitter I just put together and thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the SSA3021X firmware from V1.2.8.1 to V.1.2.9.2a (2018/11/1). I formatted a thumb drive and copied the file to the drive, in it goes in the USB port. I'm in the firmware screen, it read the contents on the thumb drive, I selected the file and the screen says don't power off, it might reboot several times, etc. I let it run for quite a while and I had that feeling something went very wrong. Yup. Bricked. I tried to ssh into it with no luck.

The good news (I think) is the unit is still in warranty, I have one more year left out of the three year warranty.
Bugger, that shouldn't happen !  :rant:

From 8.1 to 9.2a shouldn't give any issues whereas from earlier versions you have to do it in a couple of steps.
From the installation notes:
This firmware must be upgraded from V1.2.8.1 or later. If your SSA3000X has an earlier version, please update to V1.2.8.1 first and then proceed to update to the latest version.

There is most likely a recovery method but you'll have to go through your dealer to get the files.
Are you alright to do this or I can pursue this if you need.

Anyways, I'll drop a line to support and bring this to their attention.

BTW, I've done FW updates for new SSA's and my own totaling ~20 and never had any issues.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Johncanfield

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:28:40 pm »
That would be very appreciated,  thank you. I bought it from Saelig here in the US, I'll contact them next week.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 10:35:34 pm »
That would be very appreciated,  thank you. I bought it from Saelig here in the US, I'll contact them next week.
Email already sent and in ~24-30 hrs should get a reply. (nearly Sunday pm here)
Somewhere I seem to remember another one with a similar issue but I'll have to go looking for it.....so maybe there's a simple trick for recovery....not sure.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 10:45:19 pm »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 12:12:00 am »
From one of those posts in that thread:

When press the the power button this is what happens:
- short beep,
- Mode and TG buttons lid on,
- after few seconds LCD screens turns on with Siglent logo on it (splash screen),
and that is it.

This is exactly what mine does. I'll try those recommended button pushes after happy hour  :D

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 03:40:50 pm »
That was a long happy hour.

Tried the button push recommendations in that thread and no joy. I have a LAN light on the back of the SA and my switch sees a good link but the SA isn't pulling an IP address. Oh well....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 10:38:33 am »
That was a long happy hour.

Tried the button push recommendations in that thread and no joy. I have a LAN light on the back of the SA and my switch sees a good link but the SA isn't pulling an IP address. Oh well....
John, Siglent are preparing some USB recovery files and ask you to contact their Ohio branch.

I'll send the GM a 'heads up' email.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 02:06:43 pm »
Most excellent, thanks again for the help. I'm tied up for a couple of days but I'll give them a call Wednesday. I'm having spectrum analyzer withdrawal, hope I get it going soon!

John

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 09:29:44 pm »
Just got off the phone with Siglent America and the support guy never heard of a USB recovery. They have to take the unit apart and use an SD card. He said there was quite a bit of work involved so I'll have to send the unit to them. Darn.  :-BROKE

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 12:26:24 am »
Just got off the phone with Siglent America and the support guy never heard of a USB recovery. They have to take the unit apart and use an SD card. He said there was quite a bit of work involved so I'll have to send the unit to them. Darn.  :-BROKE
Sorry, yes indeed SD card recovery will be used for SSA3kX....my oversight.
For some equipment either can be used if the FW version supports it.
However in your case I believe it's an OS repair so the SD card slot is the proper way to do it.
As for quite a bit of work involved::) the SD card slot is on the processor PCB as shown in Dave's teardown:
Top right, next to the USB-B socket.
https://youtu.be/-8fr_otW0q4?t=288

Really, how hard can that be ?  :-//

Any hacks ? Might come back with those gone.  :-\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 02:39:11 pm »
I probably watched that video Dave made of the teardown, I'll have to watch it again just for fun. I don't think the tech meant taking the box apart was particularly difficult but the entire process of restoration was a bit involved.

No hacks - I was always afraid of bricking my unit  :P  She's boxed up and I'll get it in the mail today.

Thanks again for trying to help, I really appreciate the effort.  :-+

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 02:58:50 pm »
This is a bugbear of mine of modern equipment. They really should have a preloader / static PROM which can't be updated with just enough code in it to bootstrap a USB / SD card and firmware should be loaded from that through a public interface on the device. Same as EFI / BIOS / OFW on a PC/Mac/Unix box.

The margins are pretty tight on that unit I imagine after shipping and distribution are covered so the moment you have to ship something for service the unit has become a profit liability.

Offline Johncanfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 03:28:16 pm »
True.

I'm really amazed what happened with my SA. I've done dozens of firmware upgrades on various stuff (including a previous one on this SA) and never ever bricked a unit. If that file was corrupted, it should have been caught by the upgrade routine. If it was an incompatible file, that should have been caught.

Anyway off it goes to hospital.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf