Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Author Topic: 10U 25V Capacitor Ohms reading  (Read 180 times)

Offline AjA

• Contributor
10U 25V Capacitor Ohms reading
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:34:46 PM »
I am noobi in soldering and don't have much knowledge to identify components, i have a lot of Capacitors and resisters but not sure which Capacitors and resisters is what size, now i want to know if i need 10U 25V Capacitor from what i have in stocks than how i check and select correct one, if Digital Multi Meter set to 200 Ohms range than what ohms reading it will show if i want 10U 25V? in case if i don't have 10U 25V than what will be alternate, i am trying to fix my laptop motherboard charging section so i need to replace 10U 25V Capacitor, below image is 10U 25V Capacitor which i need to replace from motherboard,

any help will be apprenticed,
Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:55:11 PM by AjA »

Offline jcw0752

• Contributor
Re: Ohms reading for 10U 25V Capacitor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 04:32:39 PM »
Hi, What makes you think that the 10uF 25 V capacitor is bad?  It is very unusual for this capacitor to fail. A good capacitor that isn't in the circuit will show 0 ohms on the scale that you mention. To get an accurate measurement of a capacitor it is best to have a meter that reads capacitance.

John

Offline AjA

• Contributor
Re: 10U 25V Capacitor Ohms reading
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:19:11 PM »
Hi jcw0752,
thanks for reply, actually my laptop can't power on with battery, pls check This Thread
as per schematics on page 55 on battery section, so i need to replace all cap/zener one by one to check before i put my hands to replace Charging IC so i need 10U 25V Capacitor as per schematics, i have alot of Capacitors/zeners/resistors but all are mixed so i can't figure out which Capacitor is what size, so i asked help, so if it possible to check and try on board?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:56:17 PM by AjA »

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics PhD Candidate
Re: Ohms reading for 10U 25V Capacitor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »
For MLCCs, they usually don't fail, and if they do fail, they fail short.
Only specially designed fail safe ones fail open, most commodity MLCCs fail short.
Also, these caps are mostly redundant, so if you remove it, it should also work, and if it solves the problem, then you know what to do next.
SIGSEGV is inevitable if you try to talk more than you know. If I say gibberish, keep in mind that my license plate is SIGSEGV.

Offline AjA

• Contributor
Re: 10U 25V Capacitor Ohms reading
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
@blueskull got it, Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:55:48 PM by AjA »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf