Author Topic: Identifying an SMD component  (Read 2342 times)

Offline aliceTopic starter

Identifying an SMD component
« on: September 27, 2015, 03:14:10 pm »
I need help. I screwed up a repair job and I chipped off an SMD. Now I can't identify what has gone missing, a cap or resistor.

Hoping someone here could identify this one. I think the original one was on the left(1) and the chipped off was on the right(2).

Also wondering if it is safe to bypass the component.

The board is a Samsung Galaxy S4 USB board. The section was to handle the speaker connection as you can see, the two golden pins are supposed to be connected to the speaker.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Identifying an SMD component
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 03:32:37 pm »
That looks like a ferrite bead. A quick Google finds a schematic where you can see that they're called inductors (go to page 60 and zoom in very, very far). You can check the value of the intact one, it won't be very high but they're used to prevent GSM signals from causing interference in the speaker.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 03:42:59 pm »
Do you think it is safe to bypass the ferrite bead instead?
There should not be any resistance in them I guess so to cause a short with just a bypass solder.

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 04:17:03 pm »
Didn't look at the schematics, but from the photo it looks to me like a wirewound SMD inductor. Possibly this is a part of a sound PWM amplifier LC filter.
Ideally you measure inductance of the remaining part and place the same, worse case: replace it with a resistor (measure resistance of the remaining inductor)

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:55:02 pm »
Thank you for all the replies guys. I got it fixed without having to replace the whole board.

You guys are the best!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf