Author Topic: Oscope readout problem, help me understanding this comparator circuit.  (Read 942 times)

Offline pitpatTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi! thanks for passing by.
I have this Tektronix 2230 that has an incorrect sweep readout that shows 2s sec/div but only on a few of the sweep settings in B hor. Mode.
In A hor. mode it's just stuck, also to 2s.
Accordigly to the schematics the readout logic works by some comparators connected to a MUX.
I've checked the voltages (as stated by table 6-4) and found some incorect values that correspond to the settings with a non functioning readout, i'll post the schematics, some photo and the table i'm referring to.
Now the question is, how can i confirm that the comparators are fine?
I'm quite stuck...
Thanks for any help.
Federico
PS In table 6-4 the yellow highlited voltages are the ones that tested ok.
Schematics https://www.tek.com/manual/2230-service-manual

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
The sweeping speed is OK and only readout wrong?
You don't give your actual measured values for the bad measurements.

I'd start by checking: -8.6V supply, "RES REF", what ever supplies the comparators themselves, that no connectors are misplaced or corroded.
Checking the comparators themselves should be easy enough by disconnecting W1304 and applying a test voltage to the inverting inputs checking switching on corresponding output.

• Contributor
Hi thanks for the reply, yes the analog sweeping is ok, the digital one instead use the values from the comparators to set himself to the correct time-base setting.
I honestly din't check the -8.6v and RES REF yet, i'll try... I've aready had a look for disconnected and corroded connectors and found any.
The comparators should be powered by the 5v supplied by the psu.
PS for the B REF all the wrong voltages were almost 5v (4.98) for the A RES 1-2 I'm not quite sure but around 4.01v I'll check again
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 08:16:01 pm by pitpat »

• Contributor
Update, something strange happened! I was sending some basic commands to the gpio expansion of the scope when, with the corner of my eye, I've noticed some changes. Toh! The readout changed from 2s to the correct value...
Im now suspecting the power lines...
Any opinions would be appreciated
Thanks
Federico

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
As previously suggested check -8.6V and comparator supply if you haven't done.

I don't have the schematic at hand right now but recall seeing a 100nF capacitor either on -8.6V decoupling before RES REF divider or filtering RES REF itself. If it's on RES REF and a tantalum drop it's a good suspect.

• Contributor
Hi! You mean C768 and C767?

I've already tested and replaced C766 but not because it didn't test fine just because it was already out of circuit.

They doesn't looks like tantalum cap to me though, they are like the old oil-paper ones but small as a grain of rice and black.
I'll post a photo in the next few hours.

Thanks again
Federico

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
C766 was the one I had in mind.

• Contributor
I've replaced c768 and c767 but still nothing.
I've also did quick ripple test on the -8.6v RES REF

It doesn't look so bad to me though.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
My first guess is that the mechanical switches used to read the time/div control are dirty.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
My first guess is that the mechanical switches used to read the time/div control are dirty.

That would have been my first guess too, but wouldn't the actual sweep speed also be affected in that case?
Here the analog timebase is said to be OK doesn't that rule the timebase switches out?

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH

That would have been my first guess too, but wouldn't the actual sweep speed also be affected in that case?
Here the analog timebase is said to be OK doesn't that rule the timebase switches out?

The readout switches are separate from switches which control the analog timebase.

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf