Author Topic: Output recapping of switching PSU - Which cap to use  (Read 413 times)

Offline ppTRNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Output recapping of switching PSU - Which cap to use
« on: May 30, 2023, 05:07:47 pm »
Hi, I repaired a board that had a fault in the supply section. Turned out that it was just the output capacitors, a few 100uF and 220uF, 50V rated. I replaced them with what I had at home, same values but 63V rated. All removed caps' capacity measured just fine, but i was not able to measure ESR (i do not hav an ESR meter).

There are other board with the same problem, so i was wondering if you guys can suggest me a particular brand of capacitor particularely suitable for the job, something dependable. There is also the input capacitors, some 330uF 450V beasts. I did not replace them and the board works just fine. Is it suggested to replace them too? If so, are there any trusted brands?

PS: all caps are electrolitic.

Thank you!

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
Re: Output recapping of switching PSU - Which cap to use
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 06:10:16 pm »
On the capacitors you replaced, you will see the capacitance, the voltage rating and a code for the series. If you want to, you can then find the datasheet for that series, and extract the important information like current ripple and impedance @ 100kHz for that particular capacitor (varies with size, with capacitance and voltage rating).
So once you know these, you can pick something compatible, with equal or a bit lower impedance and same or a higher current ripple value.

Of course, you'll also have to measure the diameter of the capacitor and the spacing between the leads, and you need to figure how high you can go, don't want to pick some capacitors that are too tall and maybe hit the fan or some other obstructions.

Nichicon, United Chemicon, Rubycon, Panasonic these are big brands with good reputation.
Wurth, Samxon are less known but ok... Kemet is less known in power supplies but depending on series it could be fine..  Aishi is acceptable, i wouldn't mind using it for high voltage capacitors, but you should be able to get from the previously mentioned manufacturers easily.
Samwha may be fine, but I've replaced a lot of them in lcd monitor power supplies I prefer not to use them... but they could be good now (though it could be they were misused, in an enclosed hot area, not necessarily the fault of the capacitors)

Based on your flag, I'd suggest checking out tme.eu , here's 100uF and 220uF 50v, ordered by stock amount : long link

From that list Panasonic FR , FM 100/50 and Samxon GF would probably be fine.  Panasonic FC series is low impedance but a bit on the high side, it would probably work, but FM and FR is better.

Offline ppTRNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 06:57:54 pm »
Thank you, i'll check the link

Offline tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 06:59:25 pm »
This looks like an SMPS, so you probably want low ESR caps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf