Author Topic: Pace ST50 help please  (Read 9215 times)

Offline orbiterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
Pace ST50 help please
« on: July 09, 2015, 10:38:54 pm »
Hi guys,

Need some help getting a schematic and/or some help on a Pace ST50 solder station please.

I was testing/soldering a mains battery charger circuit this evening and I had sooo many wires hanging around that I forgot to disconnect the 12v / 7A battery before I
started soldering :o .. Next thing I know the vents in the front panel of the ST50 have a nice warm glow behind them.. Everything was disconnected super quick!!

Anyway... It seems that the component that bit the dust was an SMD inductor (L1) which become a light bulb for a second, then in a  very short space of time proceeded
to melt not only the solder mask from a couple of traces, but also turned the inductors end plates to liquid metal (as seen by the metal blob stuck to the trace in the pic below.) Also
the PCB has taken a bit of a hit too with some of the fibreglass matrix showing in the crater.

Could one of you kind folk perhaps advise on a replacement inductor for this please and perhaps offer an idea of value? There are a couple of other
inductors on the board (opposite side) labelled (1R0) however I can't tell if L1 was the same type/size/value as these due to the damage.

Thanks fellas

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Pace ST50 help please
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:25:37 am »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 07:07:01 am »
This looks promising:
http://elektrotanya.com/pace_mbt-101_201_st_50_sm.pdf/download.html
Unfortunately that's for what looks like an old model..  Mine is the ST50 intelliheat.. As seen here..

https://www.paceworldwide.com/sites/default/files/st50.JPG

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:10:48 am by orbiter »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:42:10 am »
Not the same model but seems like an earlier revision of the ST115

http://www.ewdsolutions.com/customer/elwida/customerpages/specpages/ST115Manual.pdf

The connector has less pins but maybe the schematic might help a bit, since it's not as old as the older ST50

Too bad the replacement PCB will cost you as much as the full unit :(

http://www.ce3sdirect.com/product_p/6020-0209-p1.htm

Edit: BTW I did look for all three that share the same PCB (ST-50, ST-115 and WJS-100) but no luck finding a manual with schematics other than the older ST-115 model, that has a different PCB (6020-0124) but might share some components to the later models.
https://www.paceworldwide.com/products/spare-parts/st-50115-and-wjs-100-intelliheat-replacement

Edit: have you contacted PACE? they might help you beyond telling you to get part 6020-0209-P1
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:00:03 am by miguelvp »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:24:36 am »
Thanks miguelvp .. Yea the PCB is £195 here and I bet that's not including VAT at 20% too so It would be £245  :o

I think if I end up needing a PCB though I'll probably buy a new ST50 and keep what I've got now as spares, I've already got so many new and varied tips ya see for the ST50. 

Yes.. I've sent an email off to Pace in the hope that they will be able to advise on the L1 part I require.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 11:49:49 am »
put up a picture of the case you currently have, I've got a big pile of random Pace stuff, should be able to find something with the same board.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:09:12 pm »
put up a picture of the case you currently have, I've got a big pile of random Pace stuff, should be able to find something with the same board.

I can do better than that KJDS.. Here is the PCB part number too... 6020-0209 REV 'J'

If you could even just supply the L1 part number/value that would be awesome.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 12:21:23 pm »
ST50, ST115 and WJS100 all have the same board he is looking for.
6020-0209-P1

ST30, ST65, ST75 Intelliheat should have a similar board:
6020-0208-P1

ST70 Intelliheat Also should have a similar board:
6020-0210-P1

Finally ST100 IntelliHeat will have a similar board as well:
6020-0211-P1

At least as far as finding that inductor and the layout around the connector.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 12:43:51 pm »
@Orbiter,

Before we get into component values etc, heave you considered the failure mode ?

That is to say, you have a PACE soldering iron that should have an earthed tip. You connected said earthed tip to a point in the charger that presented 12V @ 7A to teh tip. In prder to cause damage there must be a complete circuit. Consider this possibility.....

The soldering iron tip is connected to mains earth via an inductor (maybe). The battery charger 0v rail is connected to earth for reasons of safety as it is a mains appliance. Your tip touching the +12V rail of the charger presented a complete circuit via the earth connections of the two appliances. Large current flows and vaporises the weakest link in the circuit, namely the fried component on your PCB.

The component is stated as being an inductor....it is an RFI protection device and so not that critical in real terms. You can replace it with a shorting link in order to see whether there are further open circuits in the soldering station. It is not impossible that the 0V rail of the soldering station is connected to earth via the failed inductor and so there may be an O/C 0V track present as well ?

You have not said whether the station still works OK. If it does, you likely just have the connection between the tip and the safety earth O/C due to the burned up component. I would replace the inductor with 100uH type. As to its current rating..... Hmmm, it is s a safety path to mains earth so I would want at least a 1a rating if not 3A. Before deciding upon a current rating it is best to understand the current path of the tip earthing as it is supposed to protect the user from touching a live circuit with the tip. A vaporised tip is a safety issue.

It would be well worth your time to do continuity checks on the soldering iron socket to establish the path that the earthed tip would have presented to the 12V @ 7A supply. The circuit will be very simple in this part of the station.

Aurora
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:21:03 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 01:00:59 pm »
Thank you Aurora... This was the setup... Sorry for it's crudeness...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 01:27:09 pm »
@ Aurora... Apologies.. You are correct... I have omitted some vital info..

The charger was connected to a variac, NOT into a standard socket. The variac was however turned down to 0V and switched OFF! (via an attached socket)  This does mean
though that saftey earth was not present! In fact I had disconnected it at the charger due to access issues.

Obviously a small'ish current has passed via the variac side > through the charger and into the Iron looking for Earth? So my first thoughts of the issue being caused by the 12v 7A battery are wrong.   
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:29:52 pm by orbiter »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 01:36:47 pm »
Woohoo.... Pace just got back to me..

The component is an EMI Bead, 1206 SMD, 600 Ohm @ 100MHz, 0.09  Ohm Rdc, 1.5 to 2A

Now off to find one.

For anyone who comes across this thread in future with a similar ST50 PCB issue..  It is more cost effective to simply buy an entire ST-50 power supply, 8007-0501 for the 115v or 8007-0515 for the 230v

https://www.paceworldwide.com/node/10562

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:42:30 pm by orbiter »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor

• Frequent Contributor

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 05:57:51 pm »
Very pleased to hear that PACE helped you  :-+

Best Wishes

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 08:51:20 pm »
I had the feeling that a company whose products specialize in repairs would do more than just tell him to get the replacement board. Even if he asked them before my suggestion.

I'm also glad you confirmed that PACE has not changed its ways :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 08:57:24 pm »
They didn't actually advise me to get a new PCB... Due to the way they do pricing.. They advised that had I any further problems to purchase a whole new PSU as it was actually cheaper than the PCB alone.. The PSU consists of the case, the PCB, the transformer and wiring etc, yet it's cheaper than the PCB alone.. Hmmm

I'm still happy that they did get back to me though with the exact info I requested.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 09:07:57 pm »
Makes a bit of sense, since they have to sit on their inventory and probably don't move too many of those PCB replacements compared to the full PSU.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 09:16:01 pm »
Yep... I guess they only get the odd whopper now and then who manages to pop the PCB  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf