Author Topic: Philips bench DMM PM2525 4mm banana sockets  (Read 2881 times)

Offline cowasakiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Philips bench DMM PM2525 4mm banana sockets
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:03:56 pm »
I bought a PM2525 and got a second one for "spares" but it also works so I'd rather not break it up.  Both DMMs have damaged LCD screens plus the better one has a broken 4mm banana socket.  The "spares" one has a flat memory battery so needs calibrating as I've now changed the battery.

So...  I've posted about the screens already and, although usable, I will hopefully manage to locate a couple

Now on to the point of this thread, the banana plugs for the multimeter leads.  The common lead is missing the plastic insulation tube and the cylinder that the 4mm plug goes into was loose to the point of affecting the reading.  I've disassembled that one now and removed the test lead board etc as can be seen in the images.

The first image shows the board in situ and I've recorded where each lead goes to.  I've been looking for sockets which exactly fit in place of the Philips ones but can't find any.  I obviously have found lots of good quality sockets.  Would fitting alternative sockets into the holes and wiring  them up as per the originals make a measurable difference to the readings? or affect the way it all works?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:41:36 pm by cowasaki »

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: Philips bench DMM PM2525 4mm banana sockets
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:22:21 pm »
  You don't show a picture of the front of it so I'm not sure what's missing but now that you've resoldered the post I believe that the meter will work ok.   Looking at my Fluke 45, the inner plastic shield looks like it's part of the case and I don't think it can be replaced without replacing the case itself.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 04:33:06 pm »
  You don't show a picture of the front of it so I'm not sure what's missing but now that you've resoldered the post I believe that the meter will work ok.   Looking at my Fluke 45, the inner plastic shield looks like it's part of the case and I don't think it can be replaced without replacing the case itself.

I haven't re soldered the post.  I just stuck it in the hole.  I've found some that sort of fit but would require the hole reaming out by a mm or two. I think that I will probably go for them.  The third socket goes to two flat spades but that socket is un-damaged.  I'll change the other two and when I get my other new DMM I'll re-calibrate both the Philips ones if I can.

As for the screens I'm thinking of taking the worse DMM and connecting an arduino to the I2C bus and creating a replacement screen as per https://www.maximintegrated.com/cn/app-notes/index.mvp/id/6315 that article doesn't give all the details and it is a 2535 rather than a 2525 but if I can get the data into an arduino I can get it out again to a better screen.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 08:08:12 pm »
Just placed an order for all three sockets including the dual output (switched) one.  All three were only available in pairs so it came to £16 but as I have two of the meters that works out ok.  I'm definitely getting a really nice Keithley 2100 next weekend so these two will be backup, it's always handy to be able to measure two or three values at once so they will not be wasted.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:53:42 pm »
The RS sockets fit nicely and the DMM is back together.  The plastic is extremely brittle and the LCD has seen better days but it is working. 

So basically I have two PM2525s which both have slightly dodgy LCDs and one has lost it's calibration due to the battery running out which is now replaced.

Offline Aviprink

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 06:27:29 am »
Sir.. I am from india.. I am already working on that project.. PM2525/35 LCD faded.  I want to upgrade it . But in place of MAXQ.. Can we use arduino..

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 07:53:54 am »
Sir.. I am from india.. I am already working on that project.. PM2525/35 LCD faded.  I want to upgrade it . But in place of MAXQ.. Can we use arduino..

Yes.  I'm sure we could.  I have two PM2525 multimeters.  I have a Keighley 2100, EEVBlog and six others but I am too busy with other things.  I did hook up the Arduino and was able to read to packets of data.  If you remove the lip there is a connector (possibly six way - It's been a while so can't remember).  The signal is in their with a handy ground and 5v again if I remember.

Offline Aviprink

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 06:13:07 am »
Can you please send me code for arduino.. because I hired a programmer for my task..if it completes I will share it with you...

Offline Aviprink

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 06:19:55 am »
Aviprink@gmail.com
You can send details to me so I can easily work..
Did your code for arduino work for you.. Or did you get any problem

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 08:24:51 am »
Aviprink@gmail.com
You can send details to me so I can easily work..
Did your code for arduino work for you.. Or did you get any problem

I have no longer got the code.

Offline Aviprink

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 04:03:11 am »
Did you already fixed your 2525 DMM

Offline Aviprink

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 09:52:06 am »
I fixed that
Video link https://youtu.be/bPPohvPy5-U

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 12:19:31 pm »
I fixed that
Video link https://youtu.be/bPPohvPy5-U

My Philips PM2525 LCD has now totally failed.

I would be very interested in your solution but can’t understand any of it. If you speak English as well then I’m sure quite a few people would be interested in this. I actually have two PM2525 meters.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf