Author Topic: poly800 repair (help with schematic/PSU)  (Read 4044 times)

Offline algorithmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
poly800 repair (help with schematic/PSU)
« on: December 23, 2015, 08:34:17 am »
Hello! I have a korg poly800 mk2. Was given to me and I have had it open for over a year, I would really like to put it back together for good. Now I have been solely focusing on it basically.

This keyboard uses a 9v dc wall wart with reverse polarity, so at first I expected the problem was the wrong power source got plugged in. This keyboard took a drink of beer at some point.

So I started off replacing Q1, a nec 2SB44A, as well as a zener diode (as I read this being common, and Q1 tested bad.) this did not resurrect it. If I remember correctly, I was seeing +5v, but I wasn't seeing -5v. I recall reading something about a hartley oscillator being used, q18/q17. Im not really sure how to proceed… Could anybody explain how this power section is working? ???
If anybody could take a look at the schematic and chime in, that would be incredible.

It is on the page after 18, titled "circuit diagram" cut halfway off scan.
(just noticed I referenced the wrong page late this morning, :palm: )

http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Korg/KORG_POLY-800II_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf

Thanks in advance

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:49:37 pm by algorithm »

• Regular Contributor
Re: poly800 repair (help with schematic/PSU)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:56:57 pm »
here is a photo in case people don't want to visit the .pdf

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 04:20:12 am »
Briefly...You have been blindly replacing components based on other's experience which may not be same as your's. As usual as per service manual, check for +5 and -5V as these are the main voltages used in the circuits. Look at the power schematic at lower left hand bottom of main pcb KLM 1032. Look at box designated "A" and "D", it stands for Analog and Digital. The negative is tricky, it's marked  box "E" at C11 10uf. 16V. There's a box "H" too. If these voltages are present and correct then go on to the CPU IC18 UPD65010. Check +5 supply at pin 64. Also power45 reset "A" at pins 1,2,4,5,7. Lastly check clock signal at pin 63. You will need an oscilloscope for this or at least a frequency counter. This is just a start, after this examine the block diagram and the trouble shooting tips in the service manual. Good luck.

One more thing you mentioned 9V reverse polarity..how did did know? That is, which is positive the center pin or outer barerel of the connector? Please check carefully before inserting. Examine the pcb to confirm.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 09:49:54 am »
Briefly...You have been blindly replacing components based on other's experience which may not be same as your's.

I did mention q1 tested bad before replacing it, right?

As usual as per service manual, check for +5 and -5V as these are the main voltages used in the circuits.

It is 3 in the morning, so I will have to test tomorrow, but I can recall what I saw a few days ago...
I saw +5v on the the collector of q3. it seemed like q1 was switching on, which made me think d4 was working as well. I did not see -5v but maybe I was looking in the wrong places… I would like to mention, d2 (protection diode) is good, and I don't imagine a improper wall wart could have got past that. Also, you may have noticed the power switch in the schematic, that is working, sending power to the power section.

Look at the power schematic at lower left hand bottom of main pcb KLM 1032. Look at box designated "A" and "D", it stands for Analog and Digital. The negative is tricky, it's marked  box "E" at C11 10uf. 16V. There's a box "H" too. If these voltages are present and correct then go on to the CPU IC18 UPD65010. Check +5 supply at pin 64. Also power45 reset "A" at pins 1,2,4,5,7. Lastly check clock signal at pin 63.

Thank you for the advice, it is very helpful. Strangely the schematic Ive been looking at does not have letters like in the picture posted. I was confused about where 6-8A was located. I think I was confused about what rd-4 was, might have been mixed up. Either way seemed like the schematic was showing something I couldn't see on the board. :-[ Thanks again, I will test the next chance I get and report back.

You will need an oscilloscope for this or at least a frequency counter. This is just a start, after this examine the block diagram and the trouble shooting tips in the service manual. Good luck.

I have an old junky oscilloscope, made by BK precision.. no longer supported by BK precision, so Ive never seen the manuals for it.

One more thing you mentioned 9V reverse polarity..how did did know? That is, which is positive the center pin or outer barerel of the connector? Please check carefully before inserting. Examine the pcb to confirm.

I know because I researched the original transformer and read they are center pin negative. So I modified a 9v wall wart to be right in correspondence to the poly800. I tested the output and made sure with a DMM.

Thanks again, it is appreciated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf