Author Topic: PS3 Super Slim - missing component - no video output  (Read 2609 times)

Offline RGB255_0_0Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
PS3 Super Slim - missing component - no video output
« on: April 08, 2017, 03:37:17 pm »
I've got a PS3 Super Slim which had been dropped. When connected to the TV only audio is heard.

I've taken the mainboard out and had a look around for cracked/broken traces. Could not find anything so I checked all the pins were not lifted from the large QFP near the HDMI port where the pairs connect. That was not it. So I have looked for a hi-res photo of the PCB and found a missing component that goes over a trace, which seems strange to me...

Anyone with any ideas? I cannot find a datasheet for the MN8647091A...
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
Re: PS3 Super Slim - missing component - no video output
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 03:44:07 pm »
Looks like a ferrite bead.
Maybe they redesigned the pcb to save cost in a later revision.

Offline rmacintosh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 03:57:36 pm »
ferrite seems plausible.
It does look like something was there at some point, doesn't look like your standard unpopulated pad.

Since it was dropped I would be most worried about any mechanical connections and interconnects plus the hard drive.
Is there a beefy heatsink on the GPU that isn't secured to the frame ie adhered to the BGA only where drop forces would get transferred to the solder pads directly?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 04:13:06 pm »
ferrite seems plausible.
It does look like something was there at some point, doesn't look like your standard unpopulated pad.

Since it was dropped I would be most worried about any mechanical connections and interconnects plus the hard drive.
Is there a beefy heatsink on the GPU that isn't secured to the frame ie adhered to the BGA only where drop forces would get transferred to the solder pads directly?
Thanks to both. Would/could a ferrite affect its output?

As far as the GPU. That's the only other feeling I have - that the force cracked a solder ball under the GPU. I'm hesitant to try and reflow the GPU as there is RAM on the substrate package but is surrounded by underfill. And surely that kind of force would have likely cracked the silicon before damaging a solder ball? Just going from experience of how delicate Athlon XPs were back in the day.

Worst comes to worse I have nothing to lose by trying to reflow it - but wanted to see if the OP was a rabbit hole or not first.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 05:20:14 pm »
Is the PCB not a dead short connecting those two pads together - meaning that part has no purpose at all and likely wasn't installed?
VE7FM

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 05:32:26 pm »
If the trace has some finite resistance (i.e., not actually zero), then some current will be shared with the inductor and will affect the behavior.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 06:48:29 pm »
Is the PCB not a dead short connecting those two pads together - meaning that part has no purpose at all and likely wasn't installed?
.1-.3 Ohms as this board has flux residue from the factory (warranty sealed). I will have to solder or find a way to connect the PSU to the mainboard as it uses 2 prongs and a separate 8/10pin. I will probably do so and have a probe around but everything is leading to reflow of the GPU.

Traces from the GPU go to the Panasonic chip and HDMI pairs leave that chip and go through the resistor packages in the photo and down to vias to the other side of the board. See the picture on iFixit - https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/4IRNQdE2vWesptad

Unlikely scenario is that the traces between the vias in the PCB are sheared  :=\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf