Author Topic: PS4 blue blinking pulsing light (BLOD) no video  (Read 1950 times)

Offline poot36Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
PS4 blue blinking pulsing light (BLOD) no video
« on: July 08, 2016, 04:11:12 am »
I just got a broken PS4 that when it is turned on all it does is blink the power light blue and there is no video output.  I can confirm that the power supply is good and that the hard drive is working.  I also know that if the APU does not get enough cooling the PS4 will beep 3 times and shut down very quickly after trying to power on.  So I think the thermal sensor is working correctly as well.  I have tried what I call a low temp reflow (200C) to just reflow the joints that connect the die to the PCB carrier not the actual motherboard and that did not work.  My heat gun is one of the 700W China SMD rework ones combined with a soldering iron.  I don't think that it will be powerful enough to reflow the entire APU.  Would it work if I found a way to preheat the board to 150C or so or would I have to preheat the board to a higher temperature?  Or is the problem not the APU at all but the HDMI chip or the standby low power processer chip?

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Re: PS4 blue blinking pulsing light (BLOD) no video
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 12:03:41 am »
sure, you need to bake it, all of it (case included)
set oven to 400'C and leave board for at least 15 minutes
 |O
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline poot36Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: PS4 blue blinking pulsing light (BLOD) no video
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 02:53:35 am »
I have tried the oven trick on other PCBs and have not had great success.  I got the PS4 for almost free so I would kind of like to fix it.  I am thinking of getting one of the IR hotplates and placing that under the APU and then using my heat gun on the top with some flux.  Does this seem like a good idea?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf