Author Topic: PS4 Pro rear USB 3.0 replacement  (Read 1746 times)

Offline SYN80Topic starter

PS4 Pro rear USB 3.0 replacement
« on: November 19, 2019, 03:41:29 am »
I'm trying to replace the non-functioning rear USB 3.0 port on my Playstation 4 Pro and the only ports I can find do not 100% match the original port. The original port has 4 anchor points and the ports I'm finding on ebay are only 2 anchor points. It looks like it may be possible to use one and it be as simple as dropping it in and soldering the points. Does anyone have advice in this situation before I proceed with attempting this fix? Thank you for time  :-+

I have included pics below.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: PS4 Pro rear USB 3.0 replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 12:27:28 pm »
I'm trying to replace the non-functioning rear USB 3.0 port on my Playstation 4 Pro and the only ports I can find do not 100% match the original port. The original port has 4 anchor points and the ports I'm finding on ebay are only 2 anchor points. It looks like it may be possible to use one and it be as simple as dropping it in and soldering the points. Does anyone have advice in this situation before I proceed with attempting this fix? Thank you for time  :-+

I have included pics below.
Stop wasting time with eBay and instead look at a real distributor like Digi-Key. There are too many variations to rely on what happens to be on eBay at any given moment. There are differences in mounting, pin positions, height, orientation, etc. (For example, on the PCB shown, the rear anchors are next to the pins, while on the eBay one, the anchors are forward of the pins, meaning that it wouldn’t fit at all.)

Without having any kind of dimensions to go on, it looks like it could be a Molex connector. Take a look at https://www.digikey.com/en/datasheets/molexllc/molex-llc9876510181

Here’s a link to the search results for through-hole receptacles: https://www.digikey.com/short/pvc8dv
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 12:29:57 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: SYN80

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 06:41:43 pm »
Thank you for the information and links. I may just have to remove the original from the board and look to see if it matches up with those in the link.  :-+

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 07:29:17 pm »
Also realize the PCB is very heavy and used lead free solder so desoldering wont be easy and you'll need a good iron to attempt to solder it.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 07:59:31 pm »
I plan on using flux with a hot-air tool. After watching videos of HDMI port replacements on PS4, the USB port seems like it should be much easier since all contact points are on 1 side of the board.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 12:34:29 am »
I'm pretty sure last time I did one it was all through hole, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf