Author Topic: PSP 2003 LCD funny business  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Matthew98Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
PSP 2003 LCD funny business
« on: October 20, 2017, 07:33:14 pm »
Hi. I bough an old PSP 2003. Its in great shape, hardly any scratches, but I noticed some defects on the LCD. It may be getting worse. I did not notice anything on the product photos and I dont notice it even now. Any ideas what it could be ? Im worried about the gpu. Cleaned the LCD rubben cable contacts, no effect.
Thanks guys, I would love to repair it with spending as little money as possible. :) :)
Please, help me with this one. Im really dissapointed about that. Dont want to run out for a new screen and find out its gpu. :)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:52:18 pm by Matthew98 »

• Regular Contributor
Re: PSP 2003 LCD funny business
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:11 pm »
Any idea on how to test if the gpu is faulty would be appriciated. Im really worried about it. :)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:11 pm »
I there aren't any other funny things going on, I'm pretty sure this should be LCD fault.

The following users thanked this post: Matthew98

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:30:06 pm »
Thanks for fast reply. :)
Not really. It actually now looks like this. Ive done nothing to it. now that looks like a broken rubben cable... :)

I suspect the ruben cable be broken in the section, where it meets with the lcd. Can i try melt the glue with soldering iron ? Ive seen a guy repairing gameboy color like that, but im not sure it will work with modern lcd :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:32:26 pm by Matthew98 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 01:46:45 pm »
Noticed few new things. :)
When I start up the console, the  gray line wont be there. It will show up after a minute or so. The "clonned" lines are there at all times. When I turn the sonsole off and the screen turns black, the gray line stays the (cloned lines are also somewhat visible) until the back light turns off. That points towards it being screen only problem, right ?
But I found, that some ISOs that are playable on the PC will crash on the PSP. Just some. It is repetable and havent tried different isos so far. Will look more into it. Umd discs play just fine. Tested the memory card for bad sectors, there are none.

How can I be sure the console itself is perfectly fine ? :) Im ready to order the new screen. :)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 01:55:20 pm »
When I turn the sonsole off and the screen turns black, the gray line stays the (cloned lines are also somewhat visible) until the back light turns off. That points towards it being screen only problem, right ?
yes
How can I be sure the console itself is perfectly fine ? :) Im ready to order the new screen. :)
You are talking as if replacement screen would cost 200 bucks.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 02:10:02 pm »
Well, I cant really throw money out... :)

Another gray line appeared on the screen.... Now Im not sure again, if its the screens fault. What are the odds of this happening ?

* Installed plugin for screen shots, took a few and there is no distortion on the screen shot. :) That means it shoutl be the display. :)

* Ordered new display, new lines keep showing on the screen. :) If its not the screen, I will try ultrasonic clean the motherboard. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:38:42 pm by Matthew98 »

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 05:26:41 pm »
I just had this issue with a psp slim.

The cause is the lcd in-glass drivers are dying.  The longer you keep the display on, the more defects will appear. The driver circuitry is directly bonded onto the glass lcd substrate so it can't be fixed.

You can buy nearly identical replacement LCDs on ebay for $20 that are a direct fit. Be sure to clean out all dust before installation and use an eyeglass cleaning rag to prevent dust specks from getting stuck under the screen.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 07:13:12 pm »
I just had this issue with a psp slim.

The cause is the lcd in-glass drivers are dying.  The longer you keep the display on, the more defects will appear. The driver circuitry is directly bonded onto the glass lcd substrate so it can't be fixed.

You can buy nearly identical replacement LCDs on ebay for $20 that are a direct fit. Be sure to clean out all dust before installation and use an eyeglass cleaning rag to prevent dust specks from getting stuck under the screen.

Thanks. :) Already ordered new screen. Thought its something like this, but was afraid its something on the motherboard. :) Thanks for clearing my mind ! :)
Now, when i will have the psp opened, do you reckon I should replace the thermal pads ? They are around ten years old after all... :) Also planning to grease UMD drive, as its quite loud. :)

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 04:32:02 am »
No need to replace thermal pads, they are custom sizes anyway. What greease have you planned to use on the UMD?
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 06:31:01 pm »
All right. Will leave them then. :)
Well I plan on taking the psp apart to all its plastic bits, cleaning them separately and greasing the "snail" which moves the reading head with ... silicon oil ? Dont really have much of oils at home. :)

If you suggest to do or dont do anything, while I will have the PSP taken apart, fell free to submit. :) 
Thanks for responses.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf