Author Topic: Push pull amp-Replacing NPN with a non-complementary transistor (output stage)  (Read 612 times)

Offline YaminTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I am working on an Onkyo hifi amplifier which has got a shorted channel. One of the final stage NPN transistor is shorted. I have ordered the spares but was wondering if it would be ok to replace it with a non-complementary transistor to its PNP buddy? The shorted NPN is C5198 and the PNP is A1941 (those are complementary pair). I am thinking of replacing it with a 2SC4468 its just for the time being till the spares arrive - I know I could just leave that channel but do need it.
Thanks in advance.

Offline YaminTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
 I also want to add the PNP A1941 seems to check out ok measured in circuit. I have ordered replacement as well, would it be a good idea to keep the current 1941 in for the time being of course?

Offline Mr Evil

• Regular Contributor
    • mrevil.asvachin.com
From the datasheets, they look similar enough that I would expect it to work with a 2SC4468 instead. The 2SC4468 has lower ft (20 vs 30MHz), so be careful to check that the amp is still stable.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Yes, it is very feasible to use a replacement which is not the complementary part as long as the performance is roughly the same.  Distortion *might* be higher but not significantly so.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf