Author Topic: Radeon 7950 voltage issues  (Read 1575 times)

Offline nano21Topic starter

Radeon 7950 voltage issues
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:53:39 pm »
Hi all,

I have a problem with the 7950, voltage on the right side of the card on the mosfet is 0.1v (smaller vrm on the left of the gpu is ok). I did found Core channel on youtube helpful but hi did have 0.9v so its not the same problem. I dont see any physically damaged components on the board. Capacitors closer to the 6pin connectors (before mosfet) are measuring 12v. I have very very limited electronics skill but if somebody can point me in the right direction I can replace components on the board as I have access to the hot air station. I think its maybe the ic labeled CHiL because all gpu phases measure 0.1v or maybe its some kind of short somewhere?

PSU is 750w from a workstation with two 6pin (as needed for the card) and thats not an issue. I also tried both bios, also booted win on the integrated graphics - 7950 is not recognized in the device manager.

Offline KhronX

• Frequent Contributor
    • Khron's Cave - Electronics Blog
Re: Radeon 7950 voltage issues
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:48:13 am »
Can you measure the ohms between the VRM output and ground? With the power off, of course.
Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:26:14 pm »
Gpu vrm measures 0.6-0.7omhs, all six the same, but vram phase (left, closer to pink caps) measure 9.8ohms and one on the right I can`t even measure in the same range... When I changed multimeter to 20k range then measured 3.55.

Offline KhronX

• Frequent Contributor
    • Khron's Cave - Electronics Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 03:42:50 pm »
"Of course" all six measure the same - their outputs are all in parallel.

That being said, 0.6-0.7 ohms is a liiiitle bit (too) low, so there's a certain chance the GPU itself is bye-bye  :-\
Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 04:06:17 pm »
Similar readings as mine

https://youtu.be/fuuRg9M-QTA?t=42s

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf