Author Topic: Rat Zapper repair and troubleshooting  (Read 48462 times)

Offline kasone

• Contributor
Re: Rat Zapper repair and troubleshooting
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 06:19:07 pm »
I saw a mouse in my garage. I took a plastic pail, filled it half full of water, duct taped the handle up, duct taped a small paint brush to the plastic roller on the handle, duct taped a yardstick up to the edge of the pail, and smeared a gob of peanut butter on the paint brush handle. The next day I found 2 mice in the water. They had run up the yardstick, jumped at the peanut butter, it spun around and they ended up in the water, eventually drowning. Worked great and cheap.

Offline cncjerryTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 05:40:00 am »
yes, but no electrical buzzing sound nor burnt rodent smell.

Offline BreaMark

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 01:58:13 pm »
I have two units.  One units keeps getting a red light overnight but it fails to catch anything.  I'm going to try the zap test and I think it will need some cleaning.
The second unit with new batteries does nothing when I turn it on.  I've checked the circuit board for physical damage and it looks fine and everything look connected.  Anything basic I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Mark in Brea

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 06:43:09 pm »
I have thrown out all my zappers (3) and switched to live traps.  A lot less stress and better results.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline NickRoseSN1985

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 08:00:52 pm »
We have two Vector Original rat zappers and the newest one just broke. The new one had always taken around 32 seconds to hear the buzz knowing that it is fully charged. Now you hear a very quiet buzz/clicking sound and the LED blinks red. The batteries are new so its not the batteries. The plates have been cleaned. What could be wrong? The buzz/clicking sound seems to be coming from the yellow taped part.

https://youtu.be/VXkJaHSECnM

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2017, 08:03:34 pm »
Look like a HV step up coil.

Edit: if you can, open it up and apply insulation varnish or shellac to the coil then re-tape it and heat shrink wrap.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:12:23 pm by Armadillo »

Offline NickRoseSN1985

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 09:07:46 pm »
This might be a dumb question but is it safe to touch? Any precautions I should take?

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2017, 09:16:58 pm »
This might be a dumb question but is it safe to touch? Any precautions I should take?

Turn off the unit, take all battery out. Don't power it up.
Before you unsolder the coil, discharge the capacitors by jumping the mouse pad contacts with a wire, a screw driver etc..

Offline Lebenva

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 06:16:28 pm »
My Zapper red light keeps blinking not allowing the green light to go on. Can anyone help me.

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 05:17:37 am »
My Zapper red light keeps blinking not allowing the green light to go on. Can anyone help me.

You should check if the safety/interlocking switches like the cover safety switch and the tray remove switch are properly contacted/closed. Clean the contacts with cleaner.
Then obviously replace the battery with a new one.

The following users thanked this post: Lebenva

Offline Teledog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 11:40:12 pm »
I agree that the yellow thing is a HV coil.
Do an eBay search for "high voltage module", they also sell them on Banggood & the usual Chinese online shops
They're only a couple of bucks, they may or may not work for you.
Bought a few units.. the ~1/2" arc scares the hell out of dogs (& people)
They certainly don't put out 400kV..more like ~3-4kV
Just ordered a rat zapper..can't wait for it to arrive!  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Lebenva

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 11:52:48 pm »
Those zappers that put out AC HV are better then the DC types.

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2017, 05:39:50 am »
The AC type will, depending on the proper contacts, normally fried their brains dead. Somehow, the DC type cannot and at times created zombie rats that can wake up from dead. The house of zombie rats....... LOL..  :-DD :scared:

Offline willsher

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »
We've had success in adding a 6VDC power jack and an ebay $6 power supply (adaptor)
Also outside (for chipmunks) has been fine, either near house outlet or on batteries

www.SherwoodPhoto.com/rat-zapper/

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2018, 05:06:31 pm »
We've had success in adding a 6VDC power jack and an ebay $6 power supply (adaptor)
Also outside (for chipmunks) has been fine, either near house outlet or on batteries

www.SherwoodPhoto.com/rat-zapper/

YOU ZAP CHIPMUNKS?! WHY?! :scared:
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2018, 11:50:50 pm »
YOU ZAP CHIPMUNKS?! WHY?! :scared:

I hope not people
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline 651drive

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 05:45:48 pm »
My Zapper has served me well in the past but now the red light blinks (3 second intervals) when I turn it on, even with fresh new batteries. I have tried the recommended cleaning procedure to no avail. Any suggestions?

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 06:48:04 pm »
Firstly, not any batteries but I think it is recommended Energizer Alkaline type Batteries.

I would start by measuring from the LDO. At the LDO, Power In PIN should be battery voltage around > 5.3 volts and Out should be ~ 4.4volts. There is a ops-amp use as voltage comparator for this battery voltage and the LDO output voltage. I would make sure the IN-OUT compare logic from the IC is correct.

That should be a good start for the troubleshooting.

My Zapper has served me well in the past but now the red light blinks (3 second intervals) when I turn it on, even with fresh new batteries. I have tried the recommended cleaning procedure to no avail. Any suggestions?

Offline devin28

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2019, 01:32:34 pm »
Hello,

With the Rat Zapper, there is no blood, guts or gut like there is with snap traps. Additionally, in light of the fact that no toxin is utilized, rodents don't escape just incredibly difficult to achieve places (like inside your dividers). They don't pass on gradually from lack of hydration as they do on paste sheets. Your hand never needs to verge on contacting a dead rat. Truth be told, you never need to see the rat on the off chance that you would prefer not to.

The Rat Zapper is sheltered around pets and youngsters. The measure of vitality produced by the Rat Zapper is purposefully restricted by utilization of batteries and circuit configuration, for all intents and purposes wiping out the likelihood of damage striking kids or pets.

Thanks!

Offline Telemon

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2020, 09:46:41 pm »
My RatZapper Infrared with 4 fresh Duracells is blinking a low battery signal, and won't power up and go green. Everything is clean, including PC board...I'd like to not toss it, as it looks new still. Thoughts?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf