Author Topic: Remove permanent marker from gear?  (Read 447 times)

Offline Axtman

• Regular Contributor
Remove permanent marker from gear?
« on: November 10, 2019, 06:26:08 pm »
How do you remove permanent marker from a variety of surfaces (plastic, rubber, painted metal, etc.)?

I buy used test equipment from a variety of sources. Occasionally the equipment is marked up and I would like to remove those marks. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 06:30:26 pm by Axtman »

Offline m3vuv

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Remove permanent marker from gear?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 06:33:34 pm »
if the plasick is smooth i normaly polish it off with 'T cut ' paint restorer,sometimes acetone,if it doesent melt the plastic.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 06:39:04 pm »
First pass I just run over it with a dry wipe marker, any colour, and then see if that has at least removed a lot of it. Then use some ethanol and see how much that removes with mild rubbing. For smooth plastic this gets most of it off in a single pass, for textured plastics you need a few passes of the dry wipe and alcohol trick. you can also use label remover ( Label Off 50 from Kontact Chemie here) which removes a lot of marker and label residue as well, and which in general is not too damaging to plastics, though if it is a clear polystyrene all bets are off, it is going to be there forever.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 06:41:16 pm »
First pass I just run over it with a dry wipe marker, any colour, and then see if that has at least removed a lot of it. Then use some ethanol and see how much that removes with mild rubbing. For smooth plastic this gets most of it off in a single pass, for textured plastics you need a few passes of the dry wipe and alcohol trick. you can also use label remover ( Label Off 50 from Kontact Chemie here) which removes a lot of marker and label residue as well, and which in general is not too damaging to plastics, though if it is a clear polystyrene all bets are off, it is going to be there forever.
Beware of using dry wipe markers. I've made stains worse using them.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 04:30:13 am »
The solvent in dry-erase markers is usually the same as in permanent ones, that's why that trick works. Unfortunately the solvent formulations have changed over the years so pigment that was dissolvable in an older marker's solvent (xylene/toluene) might not be with the newer ones (some form of butanone/other alcohol?)

Offline emece67

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 09:31:50 am »
Doesn't IPA remove it?
Information must flow.

Online amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 09:37:39 am »
The most successful thing I have found so far is a household disinfectant called Detol. Active ingredient is Chloroxlenol. It is the thing I use if someone has used a permanent marker on a whiteboard.

Offline ArthurDent

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 01:21:35 pm »
Doesn't IPA remove it?

IPA (India Pale Ale) works best if taken internally.  :-DD

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:52:59 pm »
The most successful thing I have found so far is a household disinfectant called Detol. Active ingredient is Chloroxlenol. It is the thing I use if someone has used a permanent marker on a whiteboard.
Interesting. It's always nice to find a good off-label use for common products. I don't have any but might pick some up to use for this.

I have always gone for 99% Isopropanol (Isopropyl alcohol, IPA), but the issue with it is that some residue is almost always left behind. Acetone can take care of that, but is too aggressive to many plastics and to silkscreen inks/paints. Adding just a very small amount of acetone to IPA (<<1/10 ratio) will reduce its aggressiveness enough to still be effective on the marker but much less harmful to plastics. Anything abrasive, including "magic eraser" melamine sponges or polishing compounds, should be saved for a last resort. They usually change the appearance of the surface compared to the surrounding area. I'd choose a label removal job over marker removal any day.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf