Author Topic: Removing pull-tab from Tektronix TM500 series plug-ins  (Read 430 times)

Offline BlownUpCapacitorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
Removing pull-tab from Tektronix TM500 series plug-ins
« on: February 09, 2024, 05:27:35 am »
Hi, I am restoring an old FG501 TM500 series counter/timer. I wanted to remove the front panel sheet metal faceplate, however, I still have one last step, remove the pull tab.

This appears to be easier said than done though as it looks like there was maybe a tab? Or the plastic was welded on.

Does anyone know how to remove these?

Thanks.
Love the smell of burning capacitor electrolyte in the morning.

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
Re: Removing pull-tab from Tektronix TM500 series plug-ins
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 08:42:39 am »
Hi, I am restoring an old FG501 TM500 series counter/timer. I wanted to remove the front panel sheet metal faceplate, however, I still have one last step, remove the pull tab.

This appears to be easier said than done though as it looks like there was maybe a tab? Or the plastic was welded on.

Does anyone know how to remove these?

Thanks.
With TM500 instruments these pull-tabs are usually broken off so hardly anyone ever has a need to remove one.

Looking at the very few of my TM500 units that still have intact pull-tabs it looks like the back of the tab is locked into a keyed section of the moving latch behind the panel. Maybe you can lever the end of the tab out of the keyed section. I haven't tried it on my units for fear of breaking the fragile tab.

It looks like there were several variations of the design of this locking mechanism over the product life of the TM500 series so you may have to investigate further which version you have.

The following users thanked this post: BlownUpCapacitor

Offline BlownUpCapacitorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 08:27:47 pm »
I've tried drilling into that keyed section, but it doesn't appear to be coming out.

I might snip it off and glue it back on if it doesn't come out.
Love the smell of burning capacitor electrolyte in the morning.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 10:08:01 pm »
With TM500 instruments these pull-tabs are usually broken off so hardly anyone ever has a need to remove one.
You must be unlucky. I think I've had one plugin with a missing pull-tab in about a dozen TM500 plugins.

Try searching the TekScopes groups.io group. I remember there being at least 4 different versions. Looks like this is the older version as discussed in this thread (and others I'm sure). The ones I'm familiar with had the pull tab friction fit into a cavity like here.

Offline fmashockie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 02:25:14 am »
Try searching the TekScopes groups.io group. I remember there being at least 4 different versions. Looks like this is the older version as discussed in this thread (and others I'm sure). The ones I'm familiar with had the pull tab friction fit into a cavity like here.

Yea these are very different than the ones on my CG5011 I'm working on repairing.  They are very easy to remove - just pull forward from the side and lift up.  I second Tekscopes groups.io - someone there will definitely know!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf