Author Topic: Repair 780 Ti  (Read 4392 times)

Offline freestylexgpTopic starter

Repair 780 Ti
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:43:02 pm »
Alright, I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti which seems to me to be dying or dead from my quick research but I am far from an expert and new to these forums. The problem I have with it is that it creates white horizontal lines on the screen when I try to use it. Similar to the ones in this picture
I was wondering if there was some type of repair I could do on this or if you guys could diagnose it as dead or possibly salvageable.

Specs:
i7-4770k CPU @ GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti, Windows 7, forgot how to find PSU or any other info I'm lacking.

I'm using the integrated GPU from my i7-4770k with the same stuff atm.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:13:13 am by freestylexgp »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: Repair 780 Ti
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 12:36:57 am »
It is probably not good for gaming or even for primary display work anymore, but may still work  for mining cryptocurrencies as a secondary card. If it does you can sell it for fair money if you are not mining yourself.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 12:42:00 am »
That's actually a good idea, I was wondering if people would still buy something like this. Yeah I want a card for gaming so artifacts on the screen ruins that and I'm not mining either. Not saying I'm going with that method as I'd prefer to repair it if possible but what's the best way to sell it do you think? Craigslist, ebay, something else?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:44:14 am by freestylexgp »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:02:46 am »
Probably RAM failure. IMO sell it for parts.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 01:12:33 am »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm using the integrated GPU from my i7-4770k atm with the same stuff so it's not the ram. Also, I used the GPU on my brothers computer and it still had lines pretty much guaranteeing it's the GPU.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 01:14:16 am »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm using the integrated GPU from my i7-4770k atm with the same stuff so it's not the ram. Also, I used the GPU on my brothers computer and it still had lines pretty much guaranteeing it's the GPU.

Video RAM, not system RAM.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 01:16:09 am »
In today's cryptocurrency boom people buy even totally dead GPU cards. I'd think you could test say on NiceHash and see if it works and generates not many rejected shares (as reported on your account web page) and use that to your advantage in a selling ad. I've seen WTB ads everywhere, does not matter where to sell, perhaps you could try your local Craigslist or something to save on eBay fees.

I have a GeForce 460 card that died from gaming (became totally dead), I was able to bring it back to life by heating the GPU chip at 120 C for 10-15 min, it booted then fine and I re-purposed it for mining as a secondary card. It has been since running for 2 months non-stop, mining coins. Better than nothing.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 01:24:28 am »
I have a GeForce 460 card that died from gaming (became totally dead), I was able to bring it back to life by heating the GPU chip at 120 C for 10-15 min, it booted then fine and I re-purposed it for mining as a secondary card. It has been since running for 2 months non-stop, mining coins. Better than nothing.
Does such old GPU even pay for electricity it consumes?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 02:03:37 am »
With the price of electricity here it alone generates twice as more as it consumes in dollar equivalent at current coin prices, but chances are coin prices will continue rising and if left untouched  in the blockchain for a few years it will be a few fold payout.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 03:16:48 am »

I actually totally did not expect that but at least I added more relevant information. Are artifacts on the screen usually a sign of video RAM failure?

In today's cryptocurrency boom people buy even totally dead GPU cards. I'd think you could test say on NiceHash and see if it works and generates not many rejected shares (as reported on your account web page) and use that to your advantage in a selling ad. I've seen WTB ads everywhere, does not matter where to sell, perhaps you could try your local Craigslist or something to save on eBay fees.

Yeah, I saw things about reflow and people using heat guns/ovens to fix the cards but it seems like a risk where I might lose my money. I might just sell it instead and buy a new one so thanks for that tip.

With the price of electricity here it alone generates twice as more as it consumes in dollar equivalent at current coin prices, but chances are coin prices will continue rising and if left untouched  in the blockchain for a few years it will be a few fold payout.

Yeah I don't mine. I've seen far too many quotes saying it barely pays out or it's not worth it to bother.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 10:33:38 am »

I actually totally did not expect that but at least I added more relevant information. Are artifacts on the screen usually a sign of video RAM failure?
Usually either RAM or GPU failure.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 03:27:07 pm »

That type of artifacting that you show, sometimes called "snow", is very common in video RAM failure.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf