Author Topic: Tektronix NOS Caps Reforming  (Read 663 times)

Offline StonieTopic starter

Tektronix NOS Caps Reforming
« on: February 05, 2024, 01:11:35 am »
Hi All,

As part of my ongoing restoration of a newly aquired Tektronix 2465A scope, I took delivery over the weekend of a new pair of the large axial PSU caps @ 300uf 250v.

The supplier informed me, they took delivery of these caps a couple of years ago.

Although I haven't checked the date code yet, my question is; are these caps considered NOS and will they require reforming before use ?

Any advice welcome...

TIA, Phil. 

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: Tektronix NOS Caps Reforming
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 01:14:49 am »
Unless they are 15+ years old, it's absolutely unnecessary.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 02:11:34 am »
I don't like that practice because I took some caps apart and while they worked it was pretty brown in some spots in there. I took others apart and it was white. I don't like brown color near/in electronics things. The sprague looks like if you left a roll of toilet paper in a dish of water and then stuffed it into a tube. When stuff is browning it makes me feel that its probobly not in great condition. It looks like chemical damage and I don't think you will restore it with anything electronic.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 02:13:16 am by coppercone2 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 02:40:01 am »
Why would capacitor need to be white inside? It's not like paper used in capacitors is bleached like office paper :palm:

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 02:45:36 am »
because it was turning brown. Parts of it looked white. I took 8 apart. 2 were brown and 6 were nice and white. They are infact quite white when in good condition. ESR test was OK.

I believe that is a sign of acid damage, when old paper turns color. It could be anything between improperly processed paper or whatever that stuff is, or some kind of reaction with electrolyte (possibly lightly contaminated).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 02:50:21 am by coppercone2 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 11:14:33 am »
because it was turning brown. Parts of it looked white. I took 8 apart. 2 were brown and 6 were nice and white. They are infact quite white when in good condition. ESR test was OK.
IME they usually become light color instead of brown when electrolyte dries up.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 11:44:51 am »
 Better replace them, they tend to leak or develop high ESR, I've recapped a dozen of 2245 / 2465
 A/B.
Edit: The low voltage ones. I found zero bad HV caps.

Ooops, missed they were new:
new pair of the large axial PSU caps @ 300uf 250v.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 03:15:16 pm by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 12:21:50 pm »
Hi All,

As part of my ongoing restoration of a newly aquired Tektronix 2465A scope, I took delivery over the weekend of a new pair of the large axial PSU caps @ 300uf 250v.

The supplier informed me, they took delivery of these caps a couple of years ago.

Although I haven't checked the date code yet, my question is; are these caps considered NOS and will they require reforming before use ?

Any advice welcome...

TIA, Phil.

In general reforming capacitors is a temporary "fix" for a terminally ill capacitor, useful principally to see whether there are other problems in the equipment.

What makes you sure those existing capactors need to be replaced? The LV electrolytics yes, as per http://www.condoraudio.com/wp-content/uploads/Projects/Tektronix-2465B-Oscilloscope-Restoration-Repair.pdf

Don't fiddle with U800 unless necessary: the original mechanical design is poor, and fiddling often causes problems.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 12:25:45 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 12:56:39 pm »
In general reforming capacitors is a temporary "fix" for a terminally ill capacitor, useful principally to see whether there are other problems in the equipment.
He asked about reforming brand new capacitors.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 02:30:12 pm »
He asked about reforming brand new capacitors.

Correct.

The OP explicitly states that they are several years old, and he has not looked at the datestamp. Hence they are not "brand new".

Personally I doubt reforming will be relevant, but only the OP has sufficient information to determine that.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2024, 03:34:46 pm »
recapping can lead to more issues.

if it anit broke dont fix.

Exception is bad bulk PSU lytics on miand bus and Rifa VDE X, Y EMI filter caps.

See many posts on groups.io Tekscopes and Tekscopes 2 also

Qservice in Greece and Condor Audio in Isreal on recapping and serive of 246X/A/B.

Get exact sefv many for the model and SN

J
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf