Author Topic: repair and restoration HP 1610A Logic State Analyser  (Read 738 times)

Offline TeichhermelinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
repair and restoration HP 1610A Logic State Analyser
« on: December 29, 2022, 11:00:06 am »
I'm trying to bring this good old piece back to life. I have now received the service manual from the USA and can therefore start the repair. But first the CRT is on the agenda. I have to get rid of the glue first.
I try to provide you with updates whenever I have time and desire.

Here is the current status...

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: repair and restoration HP 1610A Logic State Analyser
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 04:55:07 pm »
   That CRT looks like it might not be usable.  Those old HP CRTs often developed mold(?) between the front of the CRT and the bonded on safety shield.  I had a bunch of HP 64000 development systems that did that and think the CRT was made by the same people, "Clinton Electronics", IIRC. 

That band around the CRT in your's should not be rusted like that. Somebody has stored that unit in a damp location.

The following users thanked this post: Teichhermelin

Offline TeichhermelinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 08:56:26 pm »
The pane has to be removed, that's clear. I'm still debating which method to use. Either water/vinegar or a heat gun. But I tend to go with water/vinegar first.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 01:31:30 pm »
   That CRT looks like it might not be usable.  Those old HP CRTs often developed mold(?) between the front of the CRT and the bonded on safety shield.  I had a bunch of HP 64000 development systems that did that and think the CRT was made by the same people, "Clinton Electronics", IIRC. 

That band around the CRT in your's should not be rusted like that. Somebody has stored that unit in a damp location.

Looks exactly like the 1610B that was on ePay in the UK, the stickers & mold are identical. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185283976884 The mold and lack of pods with it, put me off buying it, however the rest of it doesn't look bad from the outside.
A lot of vintage electronics in the UK is rusty, corroded, etc, houses are small over here and stuff got abandoned for decades in crappy leaky/damp sheds/garages/attics, sadly not much we can do about it.

Never heard of Clinton CRTs, wonder if they actually made it, or if it's a rebrand. Is it glued together like some old TV CRT safety lens were in the US? The method of removal varies depending on the glue used by different brands, would be a summer job over here to avoid getting moisture trapped when reattaching it.

David

Offline Pointyhead

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 06:42:45 pm »
Did you get it repaired?

BTW, the CRTs were in fact made by Clinton.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf