Author Topic: Repair end of VGA connector cable (to speaker box)  (Read 1571 times)

Offline DemosthenesTopic starter

Repair end of VGA connector cable (to speaker box)
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:38:25 pm »
I have a speaker box - Logitech Z-5500 that still works very well except for the 'proprietary' VGA cable connector hard-wired in to the controller box that plugs in to the amp.  I opened the controller box and it is soldered on.  There is no way I can ever replace it from that end.

So it makes an almighty thumping racket as the cable moves around even incredibly slightly on the amp end - like a broken wire on something.  I am hoping it is just the cable and not the amp port (because then I may as well give it to an electronics shop for parts or something).

Is it possible to chop the end off a hard-wired VGA cable and splice on a new end?  I have looked around for replacement speakers and honestly, offerings today are pretty uninspiring for under $1000.  The 'later' Logitech model seems like a step back if anything.

The system still works fine, I am hoping I can just replace the cable.  For now it's on hair trigger, if I don't breathe near the cable it seems relatively stable with minimal thumping.  And I really don't want to spend money on a new speaker system just because these Logitech idiots decided a proprietary hard-wired soldered-in VGA cable that is impossible to replace was a good idea.

Any suggestions welcome.  Thanks..

Some further info about the system for a different problem in this thread

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/help-repairing-my-logitech-z-5500s/msg1172971/#msg1172971

Offline Bratster

• Regular Contributor
Re: Repair end of VGA connector cable (to speaker box)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 09:08:50 am »
You won't be able to use any standard VGA cable, the way that Logitech is using it Will not be compatible with a standard VGA pinout.

But you can get just that connector, it's a high density DB 15.

So you would cut the connector off of your cable leaving a few inches And test out what color wire goes to what pin. And then solder the wires to the new connector.

somebody may have also already figured out the pin out and color code and posted that online somewhere.

and they also sell terminal block breakouts for those connectors so you wouldn't even have to solder if that's an issue for you.

Edit: you need to double check this is the correct gender, but this is a breakout I was talking about
 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9S61QT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sb3.CbG3AHQAZ

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:13:54 am by Bratster »

Offline DemosthenesTopic starter

Re: Repair end of VGA connector cable (to speaker box)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 10:23:25 am »
Thanks... Someone seems to have found a pin-out here

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/help-repairing-my-logitech-z-5500s/msg1173017/#msg1173017

A breakout box would be awesome. It's soldered in to the control box, there's no replacing the cable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf