Author Topic: Repair of TDS540  (Read 1034 times)

Offline mwbarth36Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Repair of TDS540
« on: August 12, 2022, 06:02:52 pm »
I have several Tektronix TDS540 scopes, all have had the leaky capacitors replaced, washed, and checked for defective connections.  The remaining problems are varied and I have located on-line the following Tektronix document: Tektronix part number 070-8313-00, THE TDS520 DIGITIZING OSCILLOSCOPE, Component Level Repair Manual, Volume 2. This document contains complete schematics for all circuits, and a large number of trouble shooting flow charts that refer to diagnostic tests.  For example, one flow chart starts with "Run the cpuBusCtrlReg diagnostic".  Does anyone know................

1-. Is Volume 1 of this document available? 

2.- How does one perform these diagnostic tests?  Are they part of some testing software that one runs when connected to the Console Port?  If so, is this test software available? 

The information given in Volume 2 is of limited value without access to the diagnostic test software, or some way to invoke the tests?  Any further information will be greatly appreciated.................Thanks

Online vaualbus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Repair of TDS540
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 01:01:27 am »
First the TDS540 are avaible to download on the web (that is volume 3) of the service volumes for the TDS540. The TDS520 manual existed apparently. I did speak with tek trying to find them but they weren't able to find it anywhere (they linked me to a store site that was not working than the link die).
So you should start from the TDS540 schematics (https://w140.com/tekwiki/images/c/c9/TDS540_Schematics.pdf) that is volume 3 of the set. Vol 2 is component listing and diagrams vol 1 is an extended service manual.
If you ended up asking tekmeasum for a scan I would enjoy vol1 as it have some decoding table for the CPU board that are different from the TDS540A that I have.
So back to your question:
1) It is avaible you should ask tekmuseam for a scan and paid like 50 bucks. They scanned me the 540A version of it than I realized the the 540  :palm:
2) Those tests are run from a tek utility that download firmware on the fly on the scope via the debug console port (or GPIB more probably).
Of course such tool is no where to be seen  :palm:
So yeah you basically have to follow the diagnostic diagrams but you won't be able to run tests, that sucks because it is impossible basiccaly to debug the CPU without such tests that is why I almost give up on the unit I found in a bin at my university the other year.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 01:07:10 am by vaualbus »

The following users thanked this post: mwbarth36

Offline simba15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 02:34:28 pm »
Just stumbled into this thread, I have some old tek Floppys that are marked DIAG, don't get your hopes up but I will try and post the contents here.

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Online vaualbus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 09:25:06 pm »
Finger crossed! Even if those are not for TDS scope still If they was never been dumped would still be a good find  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 09:55:25 pm by vaualbus »

Offline simba15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 03:47:51 pm »
So turns out the disks are Tek Prism 3000 Diag disks.

Sorry to get your hopes up.

The following users thanked this post: vaualbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf