Author Topic: Repair Radeon hd 5770  (Read 1555 times)

Offline more_starsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Repair Radeon hd 5770
« on: April 11, 2020, 07:57:51 pm »
I know this is an old gpu but I really want to find what is wrong with it.
The card is not outputting any video and it makes the computer restart after every 5-8 secconds. The fan is working correctly as if I let the card in the pc for a longer period and if it starts to worm up, the fan will also start to speed up.

The ram chips and the main gpu starts to worm up pretty quickly after approximately one minute.

Online M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
Re: Repair Radeon hd 5770
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 09:02:56 pm »
If you are sure the computer's power supply can handle the load, best bet would be either a corrupted BIOS or power supply issue.

Does the computer boot with the HD5770 and another video card plugged in at the same time ?

Vgpu should be between 0.950V and 1.125V depending on state, Vdd & Vddq are 1.5V, can you measure ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 08:01:32 am »
After some checks, I was able to see that the vrm voltages are:

Vcore vrm 1.22v
Vmem vrm 1.5v
Aux vrm 1.1v

Are those one ok? Also, this time, the pc did not restart but also did not boot. My psu is 530w so it should be fine.

Online M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 08:35:49 am »
Is it a special overclocked model or stock AMD/ATI design ?

If you can boot with another card as the main graphics and the HD5770 as a secondary, you might be able to reflash the BIOS using ATIflash or another similar tool in a hope to get it working.

If you can't boot with another card plugged in, identify the flash IC (usually 8-pin chip at the back of the GPU), get an identical one, flash it with a fresh copy of the BIOS (make sure it's the exact model, or use the stock ATI one if you can't find it), replace the one on the card and cross fingers. You will need some sort of SPI flash programming interface, you can make one with an Arduino.

(The next generation (HD6xxx) got a dual BIOS feature where two copies of the BIOS were stored onboard and you could select which one to use for boot with a switch.)

If that doesn't work, completely remove heatsink and put the board inside the oven at 200C for 7 minutes then let it cool off for 15 minutes, reassemble and give it another shot.

If that doesn't work either, there isn't much that can be done.

Cheers,
Razvan ;).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 09:06:06 am »
Razvan, thank you for all the felp here. I will try to reflash the bios using an Arduino and I will come back with the results

The card is a sapphire vapor-x radeon hd5770

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Regards Alex

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 09:07:53 am »
If all else fails, pull the video card out of its socket, and with a torch light and magnifier, check that the socket pins on the motherboard are uniform/straight
and not dusty or crusty, or bent or damaged

Check the video card contacts are clean shiny with no leaky or bad caps on it

Another known working card can also verify if it's the computer at fault, dud drivers or a BIOS issue

Good luck hunting down the problem  :-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 05:16:57 pm »
Today I was able to find a video card that had the same bios chip and so, I just removed that and replaced with my HD 5770 card and now, I can power the computer and will boot normally but with no video.

The next step is to use the on board graphics and try flashing the right bios on this card.

I will let you guys know what the results are.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf