Author Topic: Repair Siglent SDS1102DL  (Read 14382 times)

Offline BigfootTopic starter

• Contributor
Repair Siglent SDS1102DL
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:04:04 pm »
Hello Folks,

I dabble in electronics and purchased a Siglent SDS1102DL DSO over a year ago  and now out of waranty. I've used it half a dozen times and  it's been sitting on the bench for at least 6 months unused. Anyhow I turned it on yesterday to use it and it booted up with the LCD screen reversed left to right ,flickering and snowy. The buttons all work and it shows traces but everything is reversed such as text labels and menus. The menu even shows up on the left instead of the right of the screen. I stripped it down to check the ribbon cables but found nothing wrong.

Would any of you kind folk have a clue? I will try a firmware upgrage before I drop kick it into the dumpster.

Cheers,
Bigfoot.

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Repair Siglent SDS1102DL
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 04:16:36 am »
I will try a firmware upgrage before I drop kick it into the dumpster.
:-DD :-DD :-DD

However, DON'T DO THAT!!

For something that has received such little use tends to make me think that it could just need a firmware upgrade. Also, there are Siglent aficionado's (distributors) present on this forum so I am sure they will chime in and offer you some sound advice.

Edit: The Siglent distributor for NZ who is active on this forum goes by the name 'tautech'. So if you don't have any luck, shoot him a PM and see if he has come across this problem before.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:21:24 am by tec5c »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:40:45 am »
If I remember right the firmware is in two parts (or was way back when) and that is to support the resellers (sold under many brandnames and that allows for branding). Sounds like that part the bit with the splash screen and font information is having the issue. When you upload the firmware you will need to make sure that both portions are installed. By default I don't think that they are, only the functions relating directly to the controls and such, not the font and layout. 

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 06:01:27 am »
I dabble in electronics and purchased a Siglent SDS1102DL DSO over a year ago  and now out of waranty.
No it's not, Siglent products have 3 years warranty.

Honestly your first contact should be your supplier or contact Siglent for your local distributor.

Post a photo please.

If I remember right the firmware is in two parts.....
It doesn't sound like the .cfg file is the problem.  :-//

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:04:49 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:22:11 am »
Hello Folks,

I dabble in electronics and purchased a Siglent SDS1102DL DSO over a year ago  and now out of waranty. I've used it half a dozen times and  it's been sitting on the bench for at least 6 months unused. Anyhow I turned it on yesterday to use it and it booted up with the LCD screen reversed left to right ,flickering and snowy. The buttons all work and it shows traces but everything is reversed such as text labels and menus. The menu even shows up on the left instead of the right of the screen. I stripped it down to check the ribbon cables but found nothing wrong.

Would any of you kind folk have a clue? I will try a firmware upgrage before I drop kick it into the dumpster.

Cheers,
Bigfoot.

You must met a display problem, If you could remove the shell refer to the service manual http://siglentamerica.com/Uploadfile/file/20140925/SDS1000DL_ServiceManual_en.pdf, I suggest you to check the cable between the display and mother board.
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:05:50 am »
You must met a display problem, If you could remove the shell refer to the service manual http://siglentamerica.com/Uploadfile/file/20140925/SDS1000DL_ServiceManual_en.pdf, I suggest you to check the cable between the display and mother board.

Would a loose cable really result in the text being reversed though?

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 11:33:33 pm »
I've updated firmware and reseated both ends of the flexcables with no change in the problem. See the attached pic. Everything is reversed from the very first boot screen through operation.  Also I think the screen looks washed out , too much noise as I would expect the signal view area to be nice and black.

Sometimes when pushing buttons red and green bars appear vertically and the screen refresh slows down and flickers.

the image looks distorted at the right hand side (is that overscanning?) So with my limited knowledge it looks like the video signal is out of whack.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 11:34:40 pm »
Another pic of the screen with help menu up.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 12:02:32 am »
Never seen anything like it..... :-BROKE

Siglent's placed a link to the SM, could you do the PSU and motherboard checks?

Good DMM and scope required for 3 frequency checks on crystals.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 12:24:42 am »
Yes truly bizarre.  Fortunately I have a couple of analog scopes and frequency counter. I'll locate the SM ans see about the PS.

Bigfoot.

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 12:35:13 am »

Honestly your first contact should be your supplier or contact Siglent for your local distributor.

Even so, the OP mentioned in his first post that the unit had been opened  :-/O

I'll locate the SM ans see about the PS.

http://siglentamerica.com/Uploadfile/file/20140925/SDS1000DL_ServiceManual_en.pdf
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:39:12 am by tec5c »

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 03:09:25 am »
Looking at the service manual it indicates that this kind of failure requires the unit be returned to the service center.  At this stage I can't remember who it was purchased from but in any event warranty has been voided. 

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 03:11:32 am »

Even so, the OP mentioned in his first post that the unit had been opened  :-/O
Yes and despite this Siglent Technical support have asked the OP to:
If you could remove the shell refer to the service manual
I suggest you to check the cable between the display and mother board.
Siglent recognize EEVblog members are not fools and are capable of simple checks.

Test procedures are quite straight forward and well described in the Service manual that is free for all to download.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 04:17:09 am »
Seems to me the Australia detection chip malfunctioned and instead of flipping the image over the horizontal axes it's flipping it over the vertical one.

Kidding aside, Siglent are the ones that asked you to open the scope to look at the cable, I would think they will still honor your 3 year warranty as tautech has mentioned.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 07:06:42 am »
I've performed the checks. All voltages on the power connector are within spec. The 3 frequencies measured spot on , 30MHz, 25MHz and 100MHz.   

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 07:59:12 am »
I've performed the checks. All voltages on the power connector are within spec. The 3 frequencies measured spot on , 30MHz, 25MHz and 100MHz.
I've asked Siglent to re-visit this thread, let's see what advice they offer for your next step.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 08:35:20 am »
OK Thanks very much.

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 03:05:29 am »
Hi Bigfoot,
please reinsert the cable between the display and mother board.
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 07:50:03 am »
I've updated firmware and reseated both ends of the flexcables with no change in the problem.

Hi Bigfoot,

Hmm.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 08:00:07 am »
I've updated firmware and reseated both ends of the flexcables with no change in the problem.

Hi Bigfoot,

Hmm.
This is not to say Bigfoot has done this correctly.  :-//
These ribbon cables can be tricky to engage correctly and get all the way home and then get the retainer locked as well.

When I had a incorrect display problem with a similar unit under warranty Siglent sent a spare display ribbon cable along with other replacement parts.
However it was been the only warranty repair I have had to do on Siglent products.
Touch wood.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 09:58:49 am »
OK. I'll give it another try. I did clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and I understand these ribbon cables can be problematic. We'll see what happens.

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 11:25:48 pm »
I've removed and reseated both ribbon cables , also inspected for cold joints on the mainboard cable socket with a magnifier and can't see anything wrong. The LCD mylar flexcable has factory goop all over the end so reluctant to touch that. I've also removed the LCD ribbon cable and checked continuity on each individual line and it also checks out OK.

It still remains a mysterious problem.

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 12:29:17 am »
Murphy's rides again!

I plucked the silicon off the LCD Mylar flexcable that goes directly to the LCD and reseated the cable, booted up the scope and the display is now back to normal see the pic.  There you have it the cable socket is a hinged type that lifts off the cable as I discovered under the silicon adhesive so any contraction of the silicon over time is going to reduce conductivity of the cable to socket as it would have a tendancy to unlock the cable.

Alas I now need a replacement power switch as I inadvertently snapped it off at the mast. It didn't require much force to do this. The switch cap needs to be the first thing removed. Live and learn.  :palm: :-//

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 04:35:11 am »
I plucked the silicon off the LCD Mylar flexcable that goes directly to the LCD and reseated the cable, booted up the scope and the display is now back to normal see the pic.
Not sure what silicon you mean.  :-//

There usually is a fabric retaining tape to prevent accidental dislodgement for these ribbon cables.
IME it lifts cleanly and is placed above the tinned and exposed area of the cable and adheres to the socket. Lifting it can be a little tricky, I use a tiny screwdriver or the blunt side of a scalpel blade.

Anyways, you have it going.  :-+

Pic of new factory supplied display ribbon cable as below.
~75mm long.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:44:30 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 04:46:28 am »
I have to say that a simple thread like this says a great deal about Siglent and tautech. I would have suggest to Siglent that they post a disclaimer (do at your own risk) but regardless, two thumbs up on the just do it attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf