Author Topic: repair SRO-100 rubidium lamp  (Read 789 times)

Offline testpoint1

• Regular Contributor
repair SRO-100 rubidium lamp
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:47:06 am »
today I tear down a fault SRO-100 Rubidium Oscillator, found the lamp can not be lit, all circult and MRF160 is OK, then I dismounted lamp, as the picture. seems the rubidium drop was splashed, use the hot gun to gather the small point, fixed;

btw, never found the Rubidium lamp is leaked.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
Re: repair SRO-100 rubidium lamp
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 03:38:26 am »
These thingies usually need a certain temperature to operate, so that there is enough Rb vapor pressure in the bulb for the plasma to ignite. Other than that, it needs like 100-150MHz of RF on that coil.

So build an LC oscillator with it and feed it enough power. Then heat it carefully with a heat gun. With enough of RF power and at the right temperature,  the bulb should light up and glow in a purplish color.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:41:34 am by MadTux »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 05:57:26 am »
Yeah, definitely requires heat for normal operation, I think the right ballpark is 70-80C for the lamp itself.  Can't see from the pictures, but it also does degrade over time, I don't remember the exact mechanism but I believe material gets deposited on the glass as it ages and eventually stops working, depending on the age/usage, that could be another issue.

I'd recommend looking at the SRS PRS-10 documentation, they go into some detail the mechanisms that their design uses as well as the theory of operation of the lamp and "physics package" as a whole, plus they mention some temperatures and things.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 06:29:29 am »
The repair of Rubidium lamps by returning the metallic Rubidium to the 'pinch' has come up in the past. There is a a write-up or video somewhere. For an electrodeless discharge lamp  capsule, short of rupture, this is the only possible failure mode.
Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 12:50:13 pm »
BTW,  Lady Heather v6.xx supports the SRO-100...

Offline testpoint1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 02:58:04 am »
Yeah, definitely requires heat for normal operation, I think the right ballpark is 70-80C for the lamp itself.  Can't see from the pictures, but it also does degrade over time, I don't remember the exact mechanism but I believe material gets deposited on the glass as it ages and eventually stops working, depending on the age/usage, that could be another issue.

I'd recommend looking at the SRS PRS-10 documentation, they go into some detail the mechanisms that their design uses as well as the theory of operation of the lamp and "physics package" as a whole, plus they mention some temperatures and things.

the problem is shock, Rubidium maybe is liquid if the temp is more the 40C, then you shock it, may cause the splash.

Offline testpoint1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 02:59:47 am »
I will try it tomorrow, I ever use 6.14b to test PRS10, seems the status only display to AD9, no AD10-AD18

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:39:24 am »
I will try it tomorrow, I ever use 6.14b to test PRS10, seems the status only display to AD9, no AD10-AD18

Thats all that will fit on the main screen.   If you turn off the digital clock (GZ) you will get more room.  Or use ZD to show everything on a zoomed screen.  On the next version, clicking on the info table will also show all the data.

Offline testpoint1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 06:27:35 pm »
BTW,  Lady Heather v6.xx supports the SRO-100...

yes, it support

do you know how to add the DDS option for the SRO-100, seems one SOP-28 chip is missing.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 03:58:14 am »
do you know how to add the DDS option for the SRO-100, seems one SOP-28 chip is missing.

Nope...   

BTW, Heather can do a screen dump to a .GIF (or .BMP) file with the WS command.   Also by clicking on the second column of numbers at the top of the screen or pressing the '\' key.

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 06:06:52 am »

Offline testpoint1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 11:57:05 am »
This reference describes reviving Rubidium lamps:
http://n4iqt.com/efratom8084008/eeratom_model_frs_lamp_assembly_repair.pdf
And this is a general repair guide:
https://www.changpuak.ch/electronics/ocxo/Efratom_LPRO_101_Repair_Guide.pdf

thanks, to the LPRO 101, I already studied several months, all the life end of key component will concern the accuracy were not point out by the document.

Offline testpoint1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 01:26:58 am »

Thats all that will fit on the main screen.   If you turn off the digital clock (GZ) you will get more room.  Or use ZD to show everything on a zoomed screen.  On the next version, clicking on the info table will also show all the data.

yes, it does.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf