Author Topic: Hardware repair  (Read 4018 times)

Offline yassine-013Topic starter

Hardware repair
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:24:56 pm »
Hi everybody, my name is Yassine and I work for Promedianet. We replace all sorts of broken components from laptops to smartphones. We were thinking about adding motherboard repair. My question is: does anyone know a site where I can learn all about the motherboard components, their job and their "specifications" I'm talking about the resistors, capacitors, ic's etc.
I would be very gratefull if you guys could help me out.

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Hardware repair
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:13:26 pm »
This post scares me.

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:33:45 pm »
This post scares me.

Now now, be civil.
He may say they do repair work on laptops and smartphones on an "assembly" based level. Eg; The touch screen is cracked and the LCD is smashed, we will replace the LCD assembly and the touch screen assembly. Or the laptops screen stopped working but it doesn't look broken - if you tilt it back you can see everything but it's dark, we'll replace the backlight inverter assembly.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, it is a VERY big learning curve to go from that to replacing capacitors or even troubleshooting to find what is wrong and thus needs replacing in the first place.

Offline liquibyte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:55:17 pm »
My question is: does anyone know a site where I can learn all about the motherboard components, their job and their "specifications" I'm talking about the resistors, capacitors, ic's etc.
In other words, basic electronic theory.  I'm no genius when it comes to this stuff myself but then again I'm not trying to sell my repair services to people while not knowing these things.  I noted the number of posts by the poster and decided that this post scares me in that I hope that I remember to do my due diligence when it comes to my future repair needs.  The way I phrased it was the most civil way I could come up with considering what ran through my head at the time.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 12:04:46 am »
still your a long way away from Netherlands so your probably safe.

@Yassine yes big learning curve but dont be daunted,

maybe Toms hardware or BadCaps?

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 12:09:35 am »
Same idea, replace motherboard. I don't think labor in Nederlands is that cheap to justify repair unless you're not from the Nederlands. If you are not from the Nederlands, you're lying and don't deserve any help. :(

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:44:41 am »
You can find training courses if you google for them.Also download some motherboard schematics and learn from them,the power on sequence ,and what each part does.Its a good idea to start with the basics first like power jack repairs.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 08:29:17 pm »
Motherboard repair = cheap consumer electronics repair.
Uneconomical in western countries (unless you have very cheap labor)

There is no formal training that I have ever seen. If you still are interested after that you need to learn some electronics theory and how components fail. A few tools like a DSO and multimeter, some soldering and desoldering equipment, a BGA rework station will come in handy. To be good (cost effective) you also need strong troubleshooting skills and some people don't have the patience to learn this.

People may disagree with me but repairing a motherboard is really no different from any other electronics repair.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:35:44 pm by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Holograph

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 08:38:08 pm »
Guys, this is clearly a spam post that only has a question in it to lessen the chances of being deleted. I didn't want to have to bump this thread, but you guys can't seem to let it drop so here I am to tell you guys to stop replying here. Please let my bump of this thread be the last one. All of you should have done what I initially did - report it to a moderator - and then moved on.

If OP is somehow not a spammer, just someone who appears suspiciously like one, then please remove the spammy part of your post.

Thanks.

EDIT:  I'll answer the post after mine with an edit because I don't want to bump this thread again: It's obvious spam because the user only has one post, is far too descriptive about the business he/she is spamming for, and asks a very generic question that would be searchable without this site. Nobody comes into a first post with a direct advertisement for their electronics repair business but a spammer. User is not interested in us answering the question, but rather in us searching for that business. In fact it's spam even if the user really is asking a genuine question. Fortunately this site is mostly full of people that wouldn't bother checking OP's company out from that sort of post anyway.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:41:33 pm by Holograph »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 09:34:08 pm »
Yassine is from the Netherlands and 18yrs old and is working for a company doing obviously basic stuff and wants to know how to get into motherboard repair. Most people wouldn't know this is a waste of time unless they had been in the business a while.
He hasn't posted this anywhere but on eevblog. What makes you think it's spam?

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf