Electronics > Repair

Repairing a Tektronix 2445A

(1/2) > >>

Kibi:
Earlier this week I managed to rescue a bunch of oscilloscopes which were destined for the dustbin. They were declared faulty were thus due to be smashed into small pieces by a big hammer.

One of them is a Tektronix 2445A 4Ch 150MHz machine. It's a really nice bit of kit of mid 1980's vintage. This one includes "Option 5" TV triggering (it was from a television station), user manual and service manual.

Upon power up there was a very blurred barely visible image. Good, I thought, at least there is beam current. I fiddled around a bit, but couldn't get an intelligible trace or menu. I left it on for a while and when I came back the image had improved and the screen displayed an error code. TEST 05 FAIL 40.

I referred to the handy service manual which revealed that some voltages were too high. I took the back off of it and found the test points.
The -8V rail was reading -5.7 and the -5V rail was reading -3.8, no good. These symptoms reek awfully of PSU capacitors to me. Teardown time.

Here is the power supply module in the middle.

Got it all out.

Someone had already had a go at this in the past. However, they had replaced the original 105ºC capacitors with 85ºC ones. One of theirs had a big dent in it.

Another one had an ESR of more than 50?.

I set about testing and if necessary replacing all of the output capacitors. I put red marks on my new 105ºC capacitors. Only two capacitors (factory originals) had a good low ESR, so I put them back in.

I put it all together only to discover that the power switch was now sticking. Stripped it all down again, fixed the switch and re-assembled it again.

It powered up straight away, no errors.

Here it is connected to my Off Air frequency standard. My frequency standard doesn't have very fast logic in it, so the waveform is not very clean, but it is accurate.

10MHz into Ch1.

1MHz into Ch4.

Looks spot on to me.

Nice easy fix too. For my next little repair project I will be having a go at a Tek 2445. I wouldn't be surprised if it is also suffering from moody capacitors.

shims506:
Well documented :) enjoyed the repair

w2aew:
Nice repair, and really nice scope. Congrats!

BravoV:
Nice score !  :-+

Apart from the caps at the PS board, there are few other components need to be replaced if you had a chance.

Check this out -> http://www.condoraudio.com/wp-content/uploads/Projects/Tektronix-2465B-Oscilloscope-Restoration-Repair.pdf (applicable to 2445 , 2445A , 2445B , 2465 , 2465A , 2465B , 2467 , 2467A , 2467B)

Kibi:

--- Quote from: BravoV on January 04, 2014, 05:01:07 am ---Nice score !  :-+

Apart from the caps at the PS board, there are few other components need to be replaced if you had a chance.

Check this out -> http://www.condoraudio.com/wp-content/uploads/Projects/Tektronix-2465B-Oscilloscope-Restoration-Repair.pdf (applicable to 2445 , 2445A , 2445B , 2465 , 2465A , 2465B , 2467 , 2467A , 2467B)

--- End quote ---

Thank you very much for that valuable link. That may very well be worth pursuing. That procedure could see that scope good for yet another 30 years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version