Electronics > Repair

Repair/re-solder of SMD Micro USB Port

(1/2) > >>

Mad Professor:
Good day all.

I am looking at doing a small repair on a hisense sero 7 pro tablet computer.
The fault in question in the micro usb/charger port.
By striping the unit down it seems that the smd micro usb/charger port is not damaged, but due to alot of use it seems that the usb port has been flexing and has caused dry solder joints.

So my question what is the best or easiest way of doing this repair, as far as I can see it's just a case of re-soldering the dry joints.

What tool(s) would be best suited for this kind of repair?

Thanks for your time.

lapm:
if its just bad solder joints, you could try to re-heat them whit soldering iron or hot air...

If you use soldering iron use small tip and good light, magnification if bossible... I have replaced one broken micro usb connector on external hd container. Was not fun...

ablacon64:
Best approach it to remove the conector, clean and tin the pads AND the conector's leads, and then soldering it back in place. That way you avoid mixing different solder alloys and eliminates corrosion.

Not an easy task, since it's very small, but you should use the soldering iron. Don't recomend hot air since you'll ve reusing the conector and the plastic may melt.

Also, before connecting the power cable, double check for shorts.

DL8RI:
Hi,

had it two times (one was a Smartphone, one a Headset), just use a soldering-station.
And fix the stupid thing with 2-Component-Epoxy after this ;)

Mad Professor:
Thanks for your replies.

I do have a Atten 858D+ hot air station, But I have never used it yet, and never done hot air rework before.

I have been looking on RS web site at the micro usb ports.
The one fitted to the hisense sero 7 pro tablet computer, looking very much like a Hirose ZX62D-B-5P8 or Hirose ZX62D-B-5PA8.

As I have not done hot rework before, can anyone give me some tips of what sort of temperature, etc.

Thanks again for your time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version