Author Topic: Replacement LCD module, what should I search for?  (Read 659 times)

Offline kentsorTopic starter

Replacement LCD module, what should I search for?
« on: April 21, 2021, 12:02:31 am »
I'm hoping someone can tell me what to search for to find a replacement for a LCD from a Sirius XM TTR1 internet radio whose backlight has failed. The markings on the back "102604508P D 4" is not yielding any hits

The resolution seems to be 128x64 of which there are of course many, many on aliexpress. The LCD and backlight is simply sandwiched between two thin plates of glass. Thickness is on the order of 3mm. There seems to be 20 traces on the flexible cable.

What would a module of this construction be called, and what is the interface that I need?

Thanks in advance

Offline dc101

• Regular Contributor
Re: Replacement LCD module, what should I search for?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 01:15:59 am »
Honestly your best bet would probably be to buy one off eBay and swap the LCD panel. It seems this problem is not uncommon with this unit. Good luck!

Cheers
-Tim

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 01:18:07 am »
Yeah, I considered that too. The problem is that any TTR1 for sale is listed as "for parts" because... you guessed it: the display is dead.

Offline dc101

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 01:23:08 am »
I noticed that when I was browsing eBay. There were some posts in other forums as well regarding the same issue. More concerning is this comment on Amazon:

I have two Sirius TTR1 Radios and love them! On April 1, 2021 my radios stopped working, I thought it was just a glitch with Sirius and forgot about it for a day or two... Then today, April 8, 2021 I called Sirius and explained that my TTR1 radios are not working. Customer Service could not help me so they transferred me to Advanced Tech Support and after a few minutes of pushing the tech for answers he came clean and informed me that there was a system update made on March 31, 2021 that makes the TTR1 radios obsolete! They are no longer able to be used, they will not connect to Sirius/XM. Sirius/XM no longer allows them to work on their platform! I asked a follow up question in a few different ways to be sure what he was telling me was in fact correct as I just could not believe what I was hearing! I have these two beautiful radios and they now will not work ever again and he said, yes, I am very sorry... Needless to say I am furious!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R35PVSLH42W2AL/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002Q0W82A#R35PVSLH42W2AL

I've never used any satellite radio service before, so I have no idea if this is true or not, but I'd hate for you to go through all the effort of fixing your LCD only to find out it still won't work.

Cheers
-Tim

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 02:31:55 am »
Oh, that's interesting. It was last used a month ago so, yes it would indeed suck to find they bricked it in the meantime.

Thanks for finding that post.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf