Author Topic: Where do I buy furnace humidifier Solenoid Valve?  (Read 383 times)

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
Where do I buy furnace humidifier Solenoid Valve?
« on: February 16, 2020, 04:57:55 pm »
I've noticed things being very dry at home recently and decided to check out the Honeywell Humidifier attached to our furnace. It is bone dry. It is humidifier model HE225A1014 (solenoid and control 24 VAC, 6 Watts, 60 Hz). I checked the water line going to the solenoid... there is water definitely going to it. I checked the output (rubber tube attached to a nipple at 90-degrees) and NOTHING coming through when supposed to.

To test, I turned on the furnace as the solenoid only activates when fan blower is on. At that time, I turned the humidity control up/down and could clearly hear the solenoid buzzing. I turned it all the way up... control "clicked" and so did solenoid click and start buzzing. So I know there is voltage going to it... yet NO WATER coming through. Output line is clear... I removed it and just checked nipple directly... still NO WATER. I figure it is the solenoid that is buggered as the furnace is maybe 12 years old now.

Anyways, all I need is to replace this simple valve. I am not sure where to buy it. Is there no store IN CANADA in the Toronto area that has simple replacements for these things? I see some options online but there are different part numbers:

32001639-002  (is the part number written on mine, Kip Inc. Valve No. U147112-24/60, Kip Ref 1x1225).

I see some replacements but they include an extra "9" in the number before the 39... e.g. 320016939-002.
For example, like this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081N7D513/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B081N7D513&pd_rd_w=sQaoc&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=Bs9aZ&pf_rd_r=QFC1APEHAKW2H9W4ZKNQ&pd_rd_r=f451391e-886a-4d7d-b681-8940b4c2a7a3&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWUlpWN0s5MlIxV0YmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA0OTYzMDAyV1dGTVdaRk9MMEtaJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4NjE1OTczUk9LUElUNUc2Wkg3JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Also prices range from $30-40 shipped to $100+. Can anyone please suggest a furnace parts place in the Vaughan, Toronto area that may stock parts like these that can be bought by the public? I can't seem to find anything except online and I don't want to order something wrong or pay 10x the cost. Surely there must be a place I can walk in with my valve, look at what is available and walk out with a replacement. I am still assuming my valve is not working. I can't see any other reason why it be anything else, as water is going to the valve, the output line is clean and I've tested the humidifier control and hear clicking/buzzing going from the valve when it is activated. Must be the solenoid???

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Where do I buy furnace humidifier Solenoid Valve?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 05:10:56 pm »
Sprinkler valves are 24V AC. Should be able to find one for under $20 at your local Home Depot or Lowe's.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 05:32:23 pm »
Thanks. I'll look... I see a few options that should work, I can order from Amazon... But one says SUHS24 and the other UHS24. Otherwise they look almost identical. One says it would work for Honeywell 320016939-002, but mine says 32001639-002 (missing the "9"). Are they the same thing or not:

This one is $35 US on amazon.com....

https://www.amazon.com/Appliancemate-Universal-Humidifier-Solenoid-Replacement/dp/B081N7D513/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=SUHS24&qid=1581873940&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTE45V1JIQzlKUlhRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTY4MjkwMjczNTRXSUtLWktWMCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODYxNTk3M1JPS1BJVDVHNlpINyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

...COMPARE WITH...

This one for $57 on amazon.ca....

https://www.amazon.ca/SUHS24-Universal-Humidifier-Solenoid-Replacement/dp/B0721QGNVY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=BY0NE9V0AJT2&keywords=universal+humidifier+solenoid+valve&qid=1581874162&sprefix=universal+humi%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-3

The conversion rate now is about 1.33 so $35 is about $47 Canadian for amazon.com, versus $57 CAN from amazon.ca. Then again I may have to pay additional taxes buying from amazon.ca and not amazon.com. I'm not sure how it works. There may be other issues, but both deliver to Toronto. If only I knew if they were the same. Would be nice to have a local store though I can just buy one of those universal kits, but can't seem to find any in Vaughan.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 05:58:39 pm »
Can you hear a click when the solenoid activate? (Seems yes from your posting)
Can you check the continuity of the coil? (seems OK if it is humming)

Is there a filter at the inlet as shown on the replacement photo? Once had a dishwasher issue with the water solenoid that was just that (blocked filter).
Can you dismantle the valve to check it on the bench and check that the plunger is not stuck in place?

If the water is supplied from a "vampire" tap on an existing copper pipe check that you get a good supply of water at the humidifier solenoid. These small vampire taps with a shut-off valve can clog over the years.
Seems there are several options for "universal" replacements with compatible voltages from Canadian Tire, Home Depot, saw "exact" replacement for your model on Ebay, ParSelect (in Mississauga), etc...

Goodluck with it.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:00:59 pm by richnormand »

Offline Stray Electron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 06:05:16 pm »
Sprinkler valves are 24V AC. Should be able to find one for under $20 at your local Home Depot or Lowe's.

Sprinkler valve or a valve from a dishwasher. Pretty much any valve should work as long as the coil is the right voltage and the valve is rated to handle the necessary pressure.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 06:15:43 pm »
Those valves are somewhat repairable, probably clogged up with calcium. You have either hard water, well water or have a water softener, leading to lots of lime being in the water. A filter upstream of the new one, 0.3 micron filter media, will be a very good investment to increase life.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 06:53:16 pm »
I was trying to figure out how to open it but I can't find a way. Thanks for the tip regarding the filter. If I had a parts shop I could drop into... it would be trivial looking through bins and getting all the bits I need. The problem is I can't find a place. I'll try calling various HVAC supply stores in the Vaughan area and seeing if they sell directly to consumers and if they've have parts laying around, filters, adapters, etc. Here a few photos I took:

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 06:54:28 pm »
AMRE Supply is not bad in Canada for appliance parts. Otherwise you need to find the HVAC distributor that carries Honeywell.

You might just have dirt in the valve, compressed air can get that out or vinegar. It's essential to have a filter upstream of the solenoid valve to catch calcium deposits and sand that are in residential water.
A fine mesh screen is usually present.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 07:35:34 pm »
Ok thanks, I'll try opening up the valve. I found a few videos showing the construction and will give it a try.

[Edit:] I opened it up, soaking now in vinegar. I confirmed voltage 24V AC goes to solenoid when fan blower on and humidistat setpoint higher than actual... so electronically correct. However the inlet is clogged. Outlet is ok... I figure some corrosion or debri from water line or hard water got in. We'll see what happens in a few hours! Wish me luck!

[Edit 2:] I unplugged the hole on the inlet valve and got flow. However it is not holding shut... after re-assembly it just runs and runs. I cleaned up everything I could, even tried to tension the spring a bit more so it pushes harder when closed, all to no avail. I think I just need to buy another one as mine may be too crusty.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:58:01 pm by edy »

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 09:14:31 pm »
Soak overnight in CLR.You might have some debri that is preventing the plunger from closing completely.
Or the o-ring at the end of the plunger is damaged (if there is one, if so, Princess Auto and Canadian Tire has a good selection of o-rings)

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 09:50:02 pm »
Can you hear a click when the solenoid activate? (Seems yes from your posting)
Can you check the continuity of the coil? (seems OK if it is humming)

Is there a filter at the inlet as shown on the replacement photo? Once had a dishwasher issue with the water solenoid that was just that (blocked filter).
Can you dismantle the valve to check it on the bench and check that the plunger is not stuck in place?

If the water is supplied from a "vampire" tap on an existing copper pipe check that you get a good supply of water at the humidifier solenoid. These small vampire taps with a shut-off valve can clog over the years.
Seems there are several options for "universal" replacements with compatible voltages from Canadian Tire, Home Depot, saw "exact" replacement for your model on Ebay, ParSelect (in Mississauga), etc...

Goodluck with it.

Thanks, yes water flows from the "vampire" tap to the valve. The inlet is plugged where it becomes a tiny hole just as it enters the main valve body. I unclogged but now get a steady flow. Will try cleaning more but probably no longer getting a good plunger seal. Will need a new one. I did not find anything while searching online at the major hardware stores but maybe have to go in and look around!

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 10:17:07 pm »
Do a reverse-flow on the valve, pressurize the outlet and that should blow out any crud.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 07:07:29 pm »
Ok, thanks for all the suggestions. I had no luck fixing the old valve so I ended up finding a local HVAC supply shop and they had a universal one for $45. I had to swap the nipple connector but otherwise things work great!

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf