Author Topic: Replacement potentiometer for Creative P380 speakers  (Read 314 times)

Offline hanakp

• Contributor
Replacement potentiometer for Creative P380 speakers
« on: December 09, 2019, 01:12:01 pm »
I'm almost embarrassed to post such trivial repair, but I haven't found a working solution anywhere else around the web, so maybe somebody will find it useful. It's about volume potentiometer in Creative Labs Inspire P380 speakers, which is located in separate "pod" with cables. If you disassemble it, you will find a thumb-type potentiometer on a small PCB with part number MS0550B. The tricky part was to find a replacement one. In the end, I found only one suitable candidate that could be bought in small quantities: Alps RK10J12E0A0A which is currently in stock at Mouser:

https://cz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ALPS/RK10J12E0A0A?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtC25l1F4XBUza7emsVrz94R0Ytc5Dn%2F54%3D

The new pot has much thinner knob and shorter leads, so I'm not sure if the solder joints won't crack prematurely. Maybe it would help to glue it to the board. But apart from that, the pot is mechanically and electrically identical to the original one. The original pot has markings C F stamped in the metal base and A103 value code (10k audio taper).

Online andy3055

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Replacement potentiometer for Creative P380 speakers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 05:19:45 pm »
Nothing is trivial in my opinion. You had a problem and took time to look for parts that are hard to find, found it and fixed it. Your experience can always help another person. There are many people who don't even bother to do a simple Google search before asking for help from others here. Good job!

Offline fzabkar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 03:12:53 am »
AFAICT, the manufacturer is Cherkfan. Google images turns up two different logos, one of which matches yours.

Offline hanakp

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:46:34 am »
Ah nice, I've been wondering if C F is the producer's logo. They even have these thumb pots on their webpage, but only 1-gang variant is pictured:

http://en.cherkfan.com/products_detail/productId=58.html

Well, that's a moot point anyway, because none of the Cherkfan R1601N series can be bought anywhere. Most likely they custom-produced them for Creative Labs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf